• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Best way to hinge a 40%

Dunk

New to GSN!
I am rebuilding a 40% and am getting ready to try to hinge all the surfaces. It originally had had dubro flat hinges throughout the airframe and I have pulled them and filled the holes. I have a robart hinge tool and drill bit but the rudder is too wide for the robart jig to work and it doesn't fit due to the width of the rudder so I can center it to drill the hinge holes. Does anyone have any ideas on a an easy to make jig.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Take a flat piece of wood the same thickness as the rudder and drill a hole in the exact center of it. Attach two side pieces to form a "U" shape. Instant guide for the hinge holes! You could get fancier with some scrap metal and make something similar to the Robart tool with bigger arms, but if it's a one-time deal, the wood guide will work fine and be much easier and faster to scratch out.

thurmma

150cc
Just be careful when you are drilling the actual hinge holes to keep the drill as straight as possible to avoid making the guide hole oblong or larger than it started out. I don't know how many holes you are drilling, but it happens pretty quick if you aren't careful :)

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
You could also drill it a little bit over-sized and line it with a piece of brass tubing. At a minimum I would use a piece of hardwood like oak or spruce, not balsa.

Dunk

New to GSN!
I will do that as well, trying to think of how to make one that has multiple drill points and that I could use every where as it will take a long while to get them all drilled and to have them be consistent . a CNC would be handy right now :)

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Use a board the length of the rudder with the holes spaced out how you want. Then each hole will only be used once and you don't have to worry about them getting wallowed out. You only need the "U" at each end to align it, the "U" doesn't have to go full length. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to make a full-length jig and then you don't have to fidget with the spacing.

You could also use a piece of angle iron or aluminum to do the same thing. Drill your holes in the angle, then it should line up nicely with the tapers on the rudder (or wings or elevator). It will be self-centering that way and you can just hold it in place with a couple of pieces of tape while you drill.