• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ZTW "B" Series 65A ESC

gyro

GSN Contributor
3DRCForums recently did a review of the 42" Vyper Bype, and we used the new ZTW "B" Series 65A programmable ESC in it.

What we love about this ESC is that it’s the first ZTW ESC released that has a programmable BEC voltage, allowing a choice between 5, 5.5, and 6v output. With today's servos getting better and better, many newer models optimal voltage starts at 6 volts, and goes up from there, so we really like the 6v option.

We also liked the simplicity of programming the ZTW with the available program card, which we felt was much easier to use than the original, or "A" series card. Also, there are lot of new features on the new ESC and card: forward/reverse, start up strength, timing, and more!

Some of the other differences between the B-Series and previous versions are the better internal components and the larger heatsink, and the improved programing circuitry. The ESC felt more responsive to throttle inputs and generally smoother.

DSCF0423.jpgDSCF0422.jpgDSCF0421.jpg

We definitely recommend this ESC!

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan_m

100cc
I just installed an 85amp ZTW Land Power series (same as B series from what I can tell) into a 64" MXS. Will take it for a spin this saturday.
I heard from Garrett at Altitude Hobbies that the B series was originally going to be reserved for OEM customers (Hobby Lobby's eRC for example) and the land power series was the one that would be sold under the ZTW label. Now Quantum carries the B series under the ZTW label, so who knows :)
Anyways the land power series seems to have the same specs as the B series except that it says 6 amp BEC in the doco, and on the side of the ESC itself instead of 5. Still selectable voltage, same programming instructions/options/etc as the B series. And best of all? That darn hesitation that the A series exhibits on zero throttle starts is gone! That was the one thing that kept me away from more ZTW's, the hesitation. I like to do elevators with the plane dropping right down to the deck. I crashed a 59" Slick due to it spinning up too slowly before I realized the A series did this. The B series is super fast and doesn't though. Definitely liking the B series so far. Will see how well it performs in the air this weekend!

gyro

GSN Contributor
I just installed an 85amp ZTW Land Power series (same as B series from what I can tell) into a 64" MXS. Will take it for a spin this saturday.
I heard from Garrett at Altitude Hobbies that the B series was originally going to be reserved for OEM customers (Hobby Lobby's eRC for example) and the land power series was the one that would be sold under the ZTW label. Now Quantum carries the B series under the ZTW label, so who knows :)
Anyways the land power series seems to have the same specs as the B series except that it says 6 amp BEC in the doco, and on the side of the ESC itself instead of 5. Still selectable voltage, same programming instructions/options/etc as the B series. And best of all? That darn hesitation that the A series exhibits on zero throttle starts is gone! That was the one thing that kept me away from more ZTW's, the hesitation. I like to do elevators with the plane dropping right down to the deck. I crashed a 59" Slick due to it spinning up too slowly before I realized the A series did this. The B series is super fast and doesn't though. Definitely liking the B series so far. Will see how well it performs in the air this weekend!

1st, I'd like to keep this discussion focused on the Quantum Hobby line, since this is their forum. The Land Power are actually different from the B series. I have both, so I'm comfy saying that. The B-series still retain the famous "light-weight" benefit of the A-series speedies, where as the Land Powers have a large finned metal heatsink. While this has advantages in terms of heat dissipation, it comes at a weight penalty. For perspective, the 90A HV Landpower is the same shape, size, and physical design of the 120A HV A-series. One other difference... they must have slightly different firmware, as the B-series programmer wouldn't work with the Land Power ESC.

hardhead

New to GSN!
ZTW Default seting's

Hi everyone, IMO this is the best ESC out for the money! I would just like to add my opinion and info about the ZTW B ESC. I didn't know what the default setting's were on the esc so i purchased the program card, which is very user friendly and very inexpensive. **These setting's are on the 45amp B ESC and may very on the other B series ESC's.**

1, Brake Type 1. Brake Off
2, Battery Type 2. Lipo
3, Cut Off Voltage Threshold 2. 3.0 V/60%
4, Motor Timing 1.Auto
5, SBEC Voltage Output 1. 5.0V
6, Governor Mode 1.RPM Off
7, Motor Rotation 1. Forward
8, Start Up Strength 5. 30%
9, Low Voltage Cut Off Type 1. Reduced Power

I have about 70+ flights on my ESC and have had 0 problems. It's lite, compact and easy on the wallet!!
Happy Flying :flyer:

wedoitall

ill be make'n the switch to these really soon especially with the program options. havent heard one bad thing abuot ZTW and quantumhobbys, nothing but rave reviews and posts.

then i think im gonna switch Tx but thats gonna be way more expensive than switching to ZTW

ryan_m

100cc
I'll give you one bad thing - on the 85 amp models (and others with exposed caps), the capacitors need some reinforcement. They are just sticking outside the heatsink and will break off rather easily. I had one break off on my 64" MXS. Fortunately its a super easy fix. I replaced the cap, reinforced them both with welders glue all around the base of the capacitor and problem solved.
I think ZTW plans to address this in a future revision to the product from what I was told by one of the sellers of them.

Other that that, I love the ZTW B series and LandPower series. Much better than the A series line! Smoother throttle, no lag, and adjustable BEC power. Perfect.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'll give you one bad thing - on the 85 amp models (and others with exposed caps), the capacitors need some reinforcement. They are just sticking outside the heatsink and will break off rather easily. I had one break off on my 64" MXS. Fortunately its a super easy fix. I replaced the cap, reinforced them both with welders glue all around the base of the capacitor and problem solved.
I think ZTW plans to address this in a future revision to the product from what I was told by one of the sellers of them.

Other that that, I love the ZTW B series and LandPower series. Much better than the A series line! Smoother throttle, no lag, and adjustable BEC power. Perfect.

Ryan, I think you're speaking specifically about the Land Power's capacitors, as on the "B series" they are completely enclosed by the ESC's shrink wrap.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356874773.009567.jpg
Sorry for the crappy pic, I only have my MXS with me and its mounted underneath the battery tray.
The 85a's design and appearance is the same as the "B series" 65a picture at the start of this review.

ryan_m

100cc
maybe... Garrett at altitudehobbies told me that their first step was going to be to shrink wrap over the caps, mine is a landpower one. I thought they were identical except in programming, but you appear to be right, looking at quantum's site the B series do look different than the landpower ones. Mine was like this pic.
Amazing85A OPTO-550x475.jpg

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I am going to order that programming card tomorrow, I swore I added it to my cart when I ordered my 85A B-series but I guess I did not. It looks like a nice solution. Anyone know what timing settings the 4315-480 needs and what start up speed. I normally turn off the LVCO on my ESC's is that okay to do with the ZTW? This will be my first ZTW.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I am going to order that programming card tomorrow, I swore I added it to my cart when I ordered my 85A B-series but I guess I did not. It looks like a nice solution. Anyone know what timing settings the 4315-480 needs and what start up speed. I normally turn off the LVCO on my ESC's is that okay to do with the ZTW? This will be my first ZTW.

Tim and Ken both recommend auto for the timing. I have the start up speed at. 40% on mine, and that works great. And finally, yes, I turn the LVCO off on mine, since I use telemetry it isn't needed.

-G