• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Workshop Build-Along — Skyraider — Building the Rudder

GSNadmin

Staff member
As with most of Ziroli giant scale warbird designs, the Skyraider’s rudder uses inset plywood hinge tabs that support an internal metal hinge wire that runs the full length of the control surface

This setup provides a very smooth friction free pivot action while retaining the scale outline of the control surface. Let’s build the rudder.

Using a LaserCut USA Laser cut parts, all the pieces are nicely identified and match the plans precisely. Start by gathering all the parts needed including a 1/16 inch wire (I used welding wire) and a Nyrod yellow pushrod tube.

The majority of the rudder’s area is built just like the elevators with the rubs being glued on top of the sheeting and then the leading edge glued in place as shown. To make sure I got the ribs in the correct place, I drew extension guide lines on the plans.

Once the basic rudder is glued together, the pivot tube and wire are centered on the sub-leading edge and glued in place. Here you see that one of the balsa filler strips has been glued in place under the tube. Another one will be glued above the tube.

Here the rudder is ready for the leading edge blocks to be added.

Using yellow glue, I laminated several pieces of balsa to form the blocks.

Once the glue has dried the blocks are cut to length and then the ends are sanded smooth and square.

Here you see the leading edge block has been glued in place and shaped into a round leading edge.

Using the plans as a guide, I glued the blocks in place forming the required slots to fit the plywood hinge support tabs.

Using a hobby knife, razor saw and a thin grinding bit and Motor-Tool, remove enough material to expose the hinge wire and allow the tab to move freely.

Once the rudder is complete, it can be used as a guide to glue the tabs in the proper position in the vertical fin during fuselage build.

Stay tuned!

Model Airplane News - The #1 resource for RC plane and helicopter enthusiasts featuring news, videos, product releases and tech tips.

Continue reading...