• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Who makes small balsa 3D planes?

3DMad5

50cc
I fly 40-48 inch 3D planes. I'd love to get a bigger plane someday, but the 48" size works well for me, in terms of cost, practicality and comfort level. The trouble is, there isn't that many people who make balsa 3D planes in this size, especially Extras, which I love. I already have the 3DHS one and I'm not all that taken with the EF one. Is there anywhere else to look for reasonably priced, quality, 48" balsa 3D planes?

SnowDog

njswede

150cc
In my own personal opinion and based on my personal experiences: Get a 3DHS 51" AJ Slick! There are many great flying planes out there in this size range, but - in my opinion - the 51" Slick is the most balanced and easiest to fly plane in this size range. It has absolutely zero wing rock at any alpha and does tumbles and poptops that will get you noticed at the field. Make sure to get the Motrolfly 3615 motor!

Another very nice plane in the 48"-51" range is the EF Laser.

If you want to go EPP/Balsa hybrid, the Aerobeez 48" EPP is a great flying plane.

3DMad5

50cc
Not sure about QUALITY balsa planes in that size range...except for 3DHS and EF, there are not many other good choices.

If you are looking for something similar, there are a number of EPP/balsa/plywood full fuse airframes, such as this one:

http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?1794-Extra-330-EPP-Full-Fuse-Coming-soon-to-Aerobeez!-Pics!

that you might consider.

what about planes in the 57-60" range? they are not much bigger...such as the 3DHS 57" Extra or the 60" EF Extra?

Hmm, that's a nice looking plane. I was considering getting a 57-60" plane, but that would mean new batteries, which are expensive, the cost of the planes themselves are almost 2x more than a 48" and I've never heard of anyone hand launching a 60" plane, which would be a necessity because the grass where I fly is rarely (if ever) short enough for an ROG takeoff.

quadracer

100cc
You can fly the 57 Extra on 6S. Just use two of your 3S 2200 in series. I did that for a while, worked very well.