• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What's a DA 100L Worth?

I've been seeing some really good prices on used DA 100L's. I guess there's a lot of other options such as DLE, GP, the DA 120 etc. that they're just not worth that much money anymore.

I think it's great because if you don't need to have the biggest and baddest, you can get into a 100cc plane for a good price now. There's a guy at our field that bought a new 100L from DA for a 3DHS 104" Slick because he enjoyed is old 100 so much he didn't see the point in spending an extra $200 for the 120. He seems to really enjoy it too.

Am I alone in this or do you guys agree?

Personally, I'm willing to spend a extra couple hundred for a DLE or GP but when you can get a DA 100L for less than what a new DA 50 costs, it's hard to pass up.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
Personally, I'd spend the extra $200.00 for the 120. Not "exactly" apples to apples, but I had an old style 100 DA in my 110" Yak, and changed it over to the 120. Night and day difference as one might expect. I just really like my 120's...

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've got an old style 100, a 100L, a DA120, DLE111 and DLE120. All great engines. The DA120 is in a power band of it's own and has it's place. It is a badass engine and worth the extra $$ for the right plane and flying style. For average joe pilot that just wants to do IMAC and basic flying, all the rest are just great.

The 100L definitely has a little bit more power than the older 100, little better reed valve assembly I think helps. The 100L is honestly hard to distinguish in power from the DLE111, the broken in 111 swings a few more RPM's but barely enough to feel. The DLE120 swings same prop as DA120 and nearly identical RPM's but does not have the low end evil grunt that the DA does.

All in all, they are all good, choose your weapon for the job at hand I suppose.

This is my 100L fresh back from DA with new bearings. Needles were right were I left them when I sent it in, first run on a 25lb. Xoz. plane. Had previously run a 28x9 and on this run I was testing the Falcon 27x9W prop. I like it a LOT.

Personally, I'd spend the extra $200.00 for the 120. Not "exactly" apples to apples, but I had an old style 100 DA in my 110" Yak, and changed it over to the 120. Night and day difference as one might expect. I just really like my 120's...

Agreed, comparing an old DA100 to a DA120 is like comparing diet caffeine free coke to rockstar energy drink.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
To me it totally depends on the plane and your flying style. If its a sport plane or on the smaller side of the 100cc airframes, 100L all the way.

On the other hand, If you are after a 3D monster and the plane is on the larger side of the 100cc envelope, GP 123 would be my choice. The GP 123 has more low-end grunt than the DA120.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
To me it totally depends on the plane and your flying style. If its a sport plane or on the smaller side of the 100cc airframes, 100L all the way.

On the other hand, If you are after a 3D monster and the plane is on the larger side of the 100cc envelope, GP 123 would be my choice. The GP 123 has more low-end grunt than the DA120.
As much as I like my DLE 111 with the MTW cans, (and I wouldn't trade it for the world) I would still like to give the GP123 a whirl. I am told it is a total brute with gobs of power.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I had the old 100 and wish it where sitting on the shelf waiting for that "yep! that will do" air frame.