• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What is an expected motor temperature and too hot temperature?

Spain

30cc
Quick question...So - what are normal/expected temps? And how high is too high?

I run onboard telemetry with temp sensor on 3 different engines, (2) 2-stroke and (1) 4-stroke gas. In all cases, I start to loose power and increase RPM around 290 and dead stick is likely around 305. Based on that, once I get to 275, if the temp doesn't immediately drop if I lower throttle, it's time to land and adjust.

Cheers

I run onboard telemetry with temp sensor on 3 different engines, (2) 2-stroke and (1) 4-stroke gas. In all cases, I start to loose power and increase RPM around 290 and dead stick is likely around 305. Based on that, once I get to 275, if the temp doesn't immediately drop if I lower throttle, it's time to land and adjust.

Cheers

Losing power and increasing RPM makes no sense. Like in the thread, I state you can have all the latest and greatest gadgets and gizmos. They will NOT tell you that your engine is lean. Your key tuning gadget is your ear and fingers. Listen if the engine is sagging on an upline, chances are you are lean on the high needle and you can kill the engine like that. Kill as in sieze it or lock it up. If the engine is rich, you will actually hear the engine pick up rpm on an upline.

I can tune an engine and have it perform flawless without any baffling or telemetry. Been doing it for 15 years in GS and a total of 25 years in the hobby.

If you ask , there is a special place for telemetry..........

Spain

30cc
Let me clarify...loosing power @ full throttle settings and gaining RPM @ idle, both at temps above 300. On my twin, sensor is placed on the cylinder that is slightly rearward inserted around the top most fin.

I don't claim to be an engine tuning Jedi, just sharing my experience. Carry on.

Something is not right with those posted temps. 300F is warm but far from overheating on an air cooled 2 stroke.
Yep, he must have his sensor in the front of the cylinder, where it is getting cooling from the propwash. If this is the position of his sensor, then more than likely his actual temps are in 400 range, and I also agree with Bunky. Rpm going up does not make sense

Let me clarify...loosing power @ full throttle settings and gaining RPM @ idle, both at temps above 300. On my twin, sensor is placed on the cylinder that is slightly rearward inserted around the top most fin.

I don't claim to be an engine tuning Jedi, just sharing my experience. Carry on.
I assumed that you meant loosing rpm at wot. But loosing rpm at wot and you have an increase of rpm at idle usually indicates to lean. Either air leak or posible tuning issue.