• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Western Robotics Battery Buffer

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
hint hint i could do a write up on it hahaha just kidding, would love to see someone get it first hand to see how it works. i was thinking dual bec setup for a 50ccer or something similar

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Looks like the output is only one circuit?? Looks great for a two pack setup but I'd like to see two independent circuit/connections on the output side as well.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Looks like the output is only one circuit?? Looks great for a two pack setup but I'd like to see two independent circuit/connections on the output side as well.

Rex, since the intent of the unit is to automatically select the the best power source between two, and narrow it down to one, I'm not sure what having another circuit would accomplish.

what would the need be for the extra circuit, maybe I'm confused?

In my head, I can wire a couple rx plug connectors to the output deans plug. That would give me the "back up" coverage and amperage into my Rx.

-G

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Well, having two packs on the supply side gives you some redundancy should a pack or connection fail.

I like to have some redundancy to my RX power as well. Should something happen to one connection (solder joint break, connector comes unplugged, etc.) you'd still have one connection supplying the RX.

rcbirk21 posted a link to the order page where you can specify what type and how many connectors you want on the output side, which to me, make the battery buffer a much better option.

I guess that's why I like my power distribution board. Two A123's provide separate supply voltage that operate independent of each other as well as being isolated from each other. The 8 power board leads that plug into the RX all supply 5.0 volts to the RX.

SnowDog

The Battery Buffer is a high power protection circuit that allows two voltage sources to be paralleled safely. It is designed to work with any combination of battery packs and battery eliminator circuits that has an output voltage of up to 10 Volts.

Is there a typo in the product description, or is this really for only 2S lipo systems? Or am I missing something?

<edit> never mind, my brain re-engaged and I realized they are talking about the output side of the device, not the input side. </edit>

Carry on, nothing to see here ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Moved to a more appropriate forum / Stay tuned for an official 3DRCForums review on a Battery Buffer soon!