• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m Going/Went Flying Thread

Wild man

70cc twin V2
I flew one for years. Wore it out and sold it last year. I have a new one I have yet to put together. What engine are you running? I am installing an EME 70 with a starter. The one I sold had an EME 60 that would out preform many DA 60's, easier to start and would Idle at 1200 rpm hit the throttle to full with no hesitation. Here is an older video of the one I sold, wind was 20 to 35 mph that day no one else was flying due to the High winds

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Why NOT ?????? There is nothing wrong with flying by yourself in my book. I do it a lot. by myself when flying alone you have complete concentration with NO distractions. Just you and your plane

Had a 20x8 prop strike my arm years ago while flying (starting) by myself, nothing serious but could have been. Most members here saw how bad i was injured a couple of years ago with a prop strike. That was straight to emergency room, club members loaded my plane and drove my suv/ trailer home.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It is forbidden to fly at our club alone we have had a few very serious injuries when people we’re alone.

Wild man

70cc twin V2
Had a 20x8 prop strike my arm years ago while flying (starting) by myself, nothing serious but could have been. Most members here saw how bad i was injured a couple of years ago with a prop strike. That was straight to emergency room, club members loaded my plane and drove my suv/ trailer home.
I have found that most AMA Clubs that beat Safety to an extreme are the ones that have all the accidents. So when you had your accident were you out front of your plane when starting and how did the plane get away from you to strike your arm? I start my gasser's from behind with one flip, well some times twice when it is cold, here is a video all my gassers start like this from my 20's to the 170's . Some say I just have great skill of knowing these engines. I always start them from behind.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I have found that most AMA Clubs that beat Safety to an extreme are the ones that have all the accidents. So when you had your accident were you out front of your plane when starting and how did the plane get away from you to strike your arm? I start my gasser's from behind with one flip, well some times twice when it is cold, here is a video all my gassers start like this from my 20's to the 170's . Some say I just have great skill of knowing these engines. I always start them from behind.

I have actually never seen it done that way. Couldn't it pounce forward, hit your legs while you're leaning forward into the prop?
I use a rope, tire it to my tire now. Finger on the kill switch as I start. each to his own though.

Wild man

70cc twin V2
I have actually never seen it done that way. Couldn't it pounce forward, hit your legs while you're leaning forward into the prop?
I use a rope, tire it to my tire now. Finger on the kill switch as I start. each to his own though.
Not likely! I always have one leg against the tail and the other against the Fuse even if I start it at full throttle. God forbid, it is only going to move forward a few inches. All the accidents I have seen has happened to people in front of the plane. and the plane lunges forward due to a loose rope or some one not holding the plane secure enough with the man starting it in front then sticking their hand,out to stop the plane from coming at them, ( a common reflex action) I have seen this happen many times, I am sad to say. They are all dangerous no matter what size they are. lately at many of the Air shows I have attended. I have seen more accidents with Electrics then with glow or gas. All because a lot of people do not use a throttle cut programmed into their Trans. nor do most even know how to set one up, or even knew there was such an item they could use. Our District VP has cut him self up a few times doing stupid stuff such as reaching over the prop to adjust the motor and other ignorant moves and has been to the Emergency room for stitches many times. I feel sorry for him, seems like he would learn from his mistakes.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
My accident was loose restraint on 120 plane. Or rather I got distracted and forgot to snug it up tight. I've posted pictures here before, ugly damage to finger.