• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Tech One Katana EPO

rsasaki

New to GSN!
I just purchased a Katana from Nitroplanes. It was on sale for less than $59, and was delivered in 3 days. The finish on the Katana is very fragile, and just removing the parts from the protective styrofoam packaging resulted in the paint stripping off the EPO surface. It just does not adhere very well to the EPO. I am powering it with an Infinite 2213-970kV motor, CR25, Orange Rx, and Gens Ace 3s-1000mAh 25C battery. I have 3 D654 Solar servos and one Henge MD922 servo for the rudder. I've only a few flights on it, and I feel it needs more power. Present weight without battery is 535g.

Good points:

-Builds very quickly, parts fit well
-Very complete hardware package, includes carbon rods, servo arms, servo wire extensions, even motor mounting screws
-Highly visible color scheme
-Nice tailwheel

Bad points:

-Paint finish fragile and just gripping it can remove the finish
-Tricky to place Rx, esc
-Landing gear not robust - it tends to pop out of the holder in the fuselage even when glued in
-Live EPO hinges are stiff and throw is limited. I am thinking of slicing the control surfaces off and using CA hinges
-Control horns as designed are poor and limit throws. I'll probably replace them.

Impressions:

-Good deal at $59
-Needs modifications to get enough throw
-Precise flyer
-Stable harriers, good KE spins and KE
-200W not enough, 275W would be nice

Ron

Attachments

• DSC_7974.jpg
    DSC_7974.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,471
  • DSC_7975.jpg
    DSC_7975.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 420
  • DSC_7976.jpg
    DSC_7976.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC_7977.jpg
    DSC_7977.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC_7978.jpg
    DSC_7978.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 350

HellBentPuppet

New to GSN!
I just received this plane. It looks like they have refined there paint process. I tried scratching some of the paint off and it didn't budge.

I'll post some thoughts on it when I get to building/flying it.

Also just finishing my 2nd Techone Swift, If there is any interest I could start a thread on it. Fun rough and tumble plane.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Also just finishing my 2nd Techone Swift, If there is any interest I could start a thread on it. Fun rough and tumble plane.

Please do! If there isn't someone today looking for info, there might be tomorrow or next week. :)

And we love build threads!

-G

rsasaki

New to GSN!
A few pictures.

Attachments

• Katana_1.jpg
    Katana_1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 311
  • Katana_2.jpg
    Katana_2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 294
  • Katana_3.jpg
    Katana_3.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 322

gyro

GSN Contributor
You've got quite a few months on this airplane now, how is she holding up? Any bad tendencies or issues?

-G

rsasaki

New to GSN!
I haven't had much flight time with this Katana, because it's really not as fun as my balsa or flat foam EPP aircraft. There are a few issues that Tech One needs to address:

- The control horns are poorly designed and don't provide a rigid connection to the foam surface, so I ended up replacing all the stock horns.
- The pitch authority isn't great enough. I have re-done my elevator linkage in hopes of improving the elevator feel and response.
- The Katana would fly better with a more powerful setup. The Exceed 2215/1050kV 60g motor along with a Gemfan 11x4.7 prop and 3s-1250mAH battery is just adequate. A larger motor and another 50W or so would liven things up.
- Upright harriers have a bit of rock, inverted harriers are better.
- Hovers are very easy
- Stable and tracks well for pattern/IMAC flight, but could use more power in uplines
- Landing gear setup/structure is weak and needs improvement.
- With a few changes, this Katana could be really great.

-Ron