• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sweet Skills with KE Spin

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Looking for some advice on getting more consistant KE spins. First off I am not having any problem with my larger 87" SHP but I have had problems with my smaller planes locking a KE Spin in. Smaller as in 42" Slick and 47" SHP.
I have have experimenting with how much ruder and how much aileron but I cannot seem to find a correlation on the movements. My normal entry is a right hammerhead and when I see the wing go vertical I switch to full throttle, full left rudder and full down elevator and maybe a pinch of left aileron. There are times when that locks it in all the way down and other times it will spin tight and nice only to flop out looking like the second half of a blender.

I have tried it from a tumble over the top and left hammerhead. Some of you guys make it look so good especially when done as a quick push over right into it.

It is so tough when you do not fly around 3D pilots.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Try less rudder, in fact all my planes KE spin fastest with little or no rudder. Also it helps to have lots of elevator travel, the more the better.

I am at 50º right now, is that enough?

50 degrees should be plenty.

I have found that the entry technique that you described is the hardest one to get right everytime. Usually the reason the plane falls out of it is because you are not using enough left aileron.

On the 42 you can use full rudder, full down elev. and a little left aileron and it should work everytime. On the 47shp, don't use any rudder. Just use a tad bit of left aileron and full down elevator.

Here is another technique for entering the manuever. This entry uses the airplanes momentum in order to force it into the manuever. I have found it to be a lot more consistent.

2:05 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h17CnNIFyI

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I am at 50º right now, is that enough?

Yeah, it's enough but speaking as someone very much at the lower end of the 3D skill range I find that when entering from a hammer head/stall turn even more elevator makes entry more consistent. On all my models I have two 3D rates on the elevator, normal is about 50 deg, 'insane elevator' rate is as much as I can get which is usually about 75 deg and is good for tumbles and KE spins.

But clearly as Jim's video showed there is more than one way to do it.. awesome vid!

Steve

This is pretty much the way I enter a ke spin as well. With some planes it's very easy and some are a little trickier. Sometimes it's a matter of too much throttle at the beginning, or not enough momentum if the stall is too much. Other times it's the amount of rudder or elevator, it all just depends on the particular plane and it's setup. The one thing though that seems to be the part you need to be most consistent with is that upon entry make sure your wing is as absolutely perpendicular as possible. I usually don't add aileron until after the spin gets started, and then how much is a judgement call if any is needed at all.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Thanks all for the tips. I am getting ready for another travel for sure will try this when I get back.

Hope you have a ball!
BTW.. do be a bit carefull doing sustained KE spins at WOT, it's very hard on motors and motor boxes due the the huge gyroscopic forces generated by the fast spinning prop. I've snapped two motors clean in half doing WOT KE spins and a couple of others were damaged due to the magnets hitting the stator. I now use only part throttle, once the spin is established you dont actually need much power.

Here's an onboard vid of my Ultimate AMR doing a KE spin (starts 30 seconds in); you can see I dont use much rudder. The Hacker in this model snapped in half a couple of weeks after I shot the video.

[video=youtube;5zTN5uY_1Xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zTN5uY_1Xo[/video]

Steve

Curious, but can you enter into ke spin via tumble? It seems to work a lot more naturally for me doing it that way. Start with an up line, WOT, bang the left stick to the bottom left, right stick top right and hold it. As soon as the wing goes vertical in the second tumble I bring the throttle up to 75%+, never letting up on full left rudder, and the right stick over to center or just left of center, never letting off of full down elevator. It takes a bit of timing with the tumble to get it perfect. Once you see it done it flows very easily. Your air speed is the big factor here, but you will get a feel for it pretty fast.
It works well with my 42" slick. The exact stick positions will depend on throws, expos..etc, but I think you get the idea.

Lardog

New to GSN!
Curious, but can you enter into ke spin via tumble? It seems to work a lot more naturally for me doing it that way. Start with an up line, WOT, bang the left stick to the bottom left, right stick top right and hold it. As soon as the wing goes vertical in the second tumble I bring the throttle up to 75%+, never letting up on full left rudder, and the right stick over to center or just left of center, never letting off of full down elevator.

This is how I typically do it and it seems to work well.