• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

sunglasses and prescriptions

wedoitall

hey i had to go to the ol eye doc today. way past due, and of course i need glasses. ive been looking at some different sunglasses to help fly planes also. i was wondering what sunglasses you guys wear.

also you guys that wear prescriptions glasses what do you do when it comes to sunglasses?

i was looking at these myself but wanting to see what you guys are wearing before i made a purchase. http://www.modelglassesusa.com/index.html

they say they are made for RC pilots

wedoitall

so far ive been recommended on these.

Maui Jims, Wileys, Zurichs, but im still leaning towards the Modelglasses. plus my eye doc looked to have some decent ones.

I pretty much have to make up my mind by sometime next week. and dropping some decent coin on sunglasses will be a "luxury" purchase for a WV hillbilly like me.

I didn't noticed my vision till I started flying back in September. then I really noticed it when I got into 3d, and I plan on flying 3d till I cant fly no more. With my eyes being so sensitive to light I would like to get some glasses that are pretty good. also would like to get some lenses that let me see fly on overcast days and late in the evening better. something with the amber/yellow . that's why I was kinda leaning towards the modelglassesusa.com glasses. they have interchangeable lenses that come with the standard package.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I swear by oakley. Flying in the air or my rc on the ground, they are awesome. Especially since you can get prescription cut lenses and polarized too.

wedoitall

I swear by oakley. Flying in the air or my rc on the ground, they are awesome. Especially since you can get prescription cut lenses and polarized too.

do you noticed any depth perception problems at all with those? ive been wearing some polarized lately and it seems I have some depth perception problems with them. especially when flying directly toward me down low. didn't notice it till I started wearing those polarized, but they are nowhere the quality of oakleys. the regular rx glasses I picked out today are oakleys.

gyro

GSN Contributor
do you noticed any depth perception problems at all with those? ive been wearing some polarized lately and it seems I have some depth perception problems with them. especially when flying directly toward me down low. didn't notice it till I started wearing those polarized, but they are nowhere the quality of oakleys. the regular rx glasses I picked out today are oakleys.

I don't have any depth perception problems with them. I like the rootbeer lenses for flying. Great contrast and colors. Don't care for the black or grey for flying.

wedoitall

I don't have any depth perception problems with them. I like the rootbeer lenses for flying. Great contrast and colors. Don't care for the black or grey for flying.

what about for overcast and late evenings? the rootbeer decent for that?

gyro

GSN Contributor
what about for overcast and late evenings? the rootbeer decent for that?

I don't fly into the late evenings, but for overcast, yes, they work well!

The ones I fly with are rootbeer frames, with "Gold Iridium" lenses. Sorry for the confusion.

wedoitall

ah cool I ll have to check those out. I fly a lot I the late evenings. I try to fly everyday after work but sometimes I push it as far as flying late. was hope'n to get something to brighten it up alil without washing out the plane too much.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I have had incredibly eye sight until I hit 58 then found out my arms were not long enough to read any more. So it was time for glasses but what I have is no line prescription for reading with no correction on the top part. I feel your pain and I went through several pair of sunglasses and hands down the best for me was the Maui Jims. They feel great and help a lot.

joshgluck

100cc

+1 I have polarized Oakley gas cans and love them for flying and riding the bike. I am supposed to wear prescription lenses so I have a pair of polarized rx ray bans and I don't like them. Things are a bit crisper but I get a really odd optical distortion when flying an approach from the right. It's only noticeable on landing approaches when the plane is dropping in. Figure it's the shape of the lens since the raybans are curved and the Oakley are flat.