• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Spinner Thoughts

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Okay guys I'm slowly collecting parts for a 100cc airplane and I need some input on spinners. I know I want a 5" Ultimate spinner, but which one is the issue. I don't want a brand war here just some thoughts.

This is a budget project..... wait don't laugh I'm being serious. The airframe was nearly given to me so I'm just not going to spend more than three times what I gave for the airplane for a Tru-Turn as much as I like them.

I really want a center bolt carbon fiber since it's going to be painted, But after spending a few hours at the field one day getting the broken bolts out of a friends DA200 I'm somewhat worried about a carbon backplate. I know that is normally only an issue on a 150 on up engine, and this will be a 120, but the thought is in my head.

Anyone tried a Dave Brown Vortech spinner? I've used a lot of Dave Brown stuff in the past and most of it is okay. Of course my arm still hurts whenever I see s Six Shooter pump. ;)

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
So I understand where you are coming from with the budget. When I was putting together gear for my 91" EF Extra a friend suggest these carbon fiber with aluminum backplate from Hobbyking. I am not a HK fan at all but I pulled the plug on the 4" for mine for $27.89. Hard to believe but I saw his and the quality looked good so I ordered one. I ended up selling it because I needed nose weight so I went with a Tru Turn with a solid backplate. The 5" are a little more at $44.82 so here is the link. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Alloy_Backplate.html?strSearch=carbon spinner

Region capture 1.png

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The single bolt carbon spinners at SDS ( just like the one that come with Pilot planes) are getting expensive.

Large Dave Browns Are NICE for the money and you can always paint it. The larger HK 2 bolters Carbon w/ aluminum backplate
are IMO meant for larger electric set ups. I have been using a couple of the No Limitz Fiberglass from Herve at PAU and really like them. But it is a 4 or 6 button screw retention system. Some guys don't like. I do. More scale like appearance .
Herve just sent me a 4.5" ultimate white fiberglass for 75 to the door. Less expensive than the China Carbons at SDS and HK.

sweetpea

100cc
only choice for me is the PAU CF version or a Tru Turn alum. Anything else isn't worth the hassle in my book. I know you are on a budget but skimping isn't good either

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Here are a couple of pics of the HK 5" CF Spinner with the aluminum backplate. I have this on hand for my EF Extra 300 should I try a 3-blade prop at some point in the future. For the money they seem to be a decent quality spinner. One thing, the aluminum back plate is cast and could be prone to developing crack(s) where the spokes meet the hub. I had a 4.5" on my Extra 300 that cracked after 3 gallons. I'm still using the CF cone but with a different aluminum back plate.

If I use the 5" spinner I will order a Tru-Turn aluminum back plate to have on hand in case the stock HK one starts to develop cracks.

HK 5in CF Spinner.jpg
HK 5in CF Spinner Alum BP.jpg
Cracked Backplate.jpg

emtp275

100cc
I Have a CF 5" laying around with a CF back plate only draw back, heres to the pay it forward game PM me Ill give you a heck of a deal and you can order an aluminum back plate from DA that will fit, I picked up a whole new spinner from DA at Nall cuz Im to impatient to order the back plate and wait

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It is convenient to use a single bolt spinner, but they easily develop cracks on the aluminum back plate, since you have to tighten the cone against the back plate to prevent slipping.
CF back plates have other documented potential issues.
On a powerful gas engine prone to vibrations, I would not use a single bolt spinner with a lightened back plate.
The six screws on the NoLimitz spinners are not a problem to me: I rarely need to remove the spinner.

I like the Mejzlik line of spinners. 6 bolts on the circumfrence of the spinner for retention. Much like the PAU line. Ultimately, all my airplanes will get new SMJ spinners, once the mold gets fixed. The Mejzlik spinners come cut for props, the SMJ's do not. But you will have to drill the backplate to match your prop indexing.

I have a center bolt CF spinner on my Corvus, and it is all over the place. I won't run a center bolt CF spinner, no matter how well it is made.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I Have a CF 5" laying around with a CF back plate only draw back, heres to the pay it forward game PM me Ill give you a heck of a deal and you can order an aluminum back plate from DA that will fit, I picked up a whole new spinner from DA at Nall cuz Im to impatient to order the back plate and wait
I tried to send you a PM but it said I couldn't start one with you.