• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Spektrum DX-8, DX-9, DX-18....

Bipenut53

150cc
Well its the time of year I do a tear down and maintenance on airframes. At the end of the season last season, I was noticing that I was getting a bit of a shake out of my rudder servo on my 91" Extreme Flight Extra EXP just off of center to the right. I am running Savox 1270 HV servos on all my control surfaces, running 2s Lipo batteries into a Formeco Wolverine 2 in 2 out switch into a JR R12222X power safe receiver. On the rudder it is a Pull/Pull set up with 4" SWB servo arm. I really like these servos because they don't have any jitters at all, always solid. I figured during my winter maintenance I would remove the servo and take it apart and clean it and see if I could see the problem with it. Before I removed the servos, I powered up my DX-18 and the airplane. I can consistently recreate the shake almost every time. I then remember reading a thread, don't know where or when, that by doing a re-calibration of the transmitter it got rid of the original poster's problem. So I figured, "what the heck, all I would be out would be a little time". So I found the calibration screen in my DX-18 and did a calibration, to my surprise, it completely got rid of the shake!! I again have completely solid servos, no jitters or excessive noise!! I then did a calibration on my DX-8 just for giggles, not that I was having any problems but to clear my mind. So I know that the DX-8, DX-9, and the DX-18 can all be calibrated in this way, I suspect that it holds true for the DX-7s and the new DX-6. Just a thought so you might end up with a simple fix on your airframe....

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
[MENTION=3348]Bipenut[/MENTION]
Would you happen to know what the differences are between the DX18 Gen 1 and Gen 2 are? Reason I ask is because Horizon Hobby has THIS $499 deal going on for the Gen 1 TX.

Bipenut53

150cc
Yes I do, I have the Gen 1 version of the DX-18, the biggest difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 is Gen 2 has voice altert.... pretty much the only difference, still have 250 model memory more mixes than DX-8 ALL switches are programmable and you even have the ability to do analog on the side sliders for say throttle trim ect... I love my DX-18.
That being said, one draw back is that you can not transfer your DX-8 models to the DX-18, they have to be manually done...... :facepalm: Other than that, better radio and I could walk you through screen to screen..... It is a good deal [MENTION=3728]Bushwacker[/MENTION]!

cam4569

70cc twin V2
[MENTION=3728]Bushwacker[/MENTION] that is the deal I got there as well, glad I went with it. I don't see the value in the gen 2 over the gen 1 for the cost difference