• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Solid Hobby Power Supplies - 12v/24v, 47A, 1150 Watts! Includes Switched Power Cord!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click this banner add below for special deals!

See Doc Austin's review of the Solid Hobby Power24+ at the link below!
Doc Austin's Solid Hobby Power24+ review

I am offering for sale very high quality re-purposed server power supplies manufactured by HP which have been converted for use in powering RC chargers capable of 12v DC and/or 24v DC input.

This classified add is laid out by first providing general information that applies to all of my power supplies and then providing specific information about each of the 3 versions of power supplies I am offering for sale under the heading "Solid Hobby Products".

Solid Hobby Product Information

It is no mystery that there are numerous options out there in the power supply market from which to choose. So what sets my power supplies apart from the rest, other than the fact that they look really cool? Here are a few points to consider:

Switched Power Cord – Each and every power supply comes with a power cord that has an in-line on/off switch that either hangs behind the power supply or attaches to the top of the power supply via extremely heavy duty Velcro (you can choose which style you prefer). In addition, the switched power cord with the 24 volt supplies is a heavy duty Y-cable so it only takes up one plug instead of two. Do not underestimate the convenience of a Y-cable with an on/off switch! Without an on/off switch you would need to continually plug and unplug the power supply in order to turn it off and on. Power outlets become weaker and weaker over time the more you plug and unplug heavy duty cords such as the type that connect to these power supplies. You could get a power strip, but this would be added clutter and make your power supply less mobile. It would be another thing you would need to lug around if you plan on taking your supply out to the flying field or move it around the house at all. The switched power cord by Solid Hobby is very convenient and very well made. This alone will make you glad you went with a Solid Hobby power supply.

Temperature Controlled Load Dependent Fan – The operation of the fan is nearly silent, you can operate the power supply in your living room while watching TV and you will hardly notice it running. There are many power supplies out there that sound like jet engines taking off, they may deliver the power, but you sure can hear them as they do! The fan in my power supply is smart. It will speed up to full power if it needs to in order to keep the internals from overheating, but it will not go any faster than necessary.

DC Properly Isolated – Connecting two power supplies in series to get 24 volts is much like putting two batteries in a flashlight to increase the voltage seen by the flashlight. In order to connect the two power supply units, one of the units must be disconnected from ground or it would cause a short circuit and would not work. It is not very common anymore, but in the past many people would modify server power supplies to run in series by disconnecting one of the units AC connection to ground and the cases of the two power supply units that were connected in series had to be physically separated from each other by some non-conductive barrier. This is not the safest approach as the mains power is at high voltage and should always be grounded in order to prevent you from becoming the connection to ground in the event of failure…think electrocution, this is not good! On all my supplies, DC has been properly isolated from ground so that the two power supply units can be connected in series while maintaining the AC ground connection on both units and the cases do not have to be separated. It is the general consensus by all that are in the know concerning these power supply modifications that isolating DC from ground on one of the units versus isolating the AC mains power from ground is by far the safest approach and it is the method that I use on all power supply units which are connected in series.

Great Customer Support – I continually monitor all threads I am subscribed to and PMs, I will respond timely and with helpful information should you need any technical support while using the power supply. I believe the most important thing is to keep you as the customer happy so that you will want to come back for future purchases and refer your friends to me. I will do my best to meet and exceed all your expectations in customer support and timeliness of product delivery.

Color Coded Leads – Each of the 4mm bullet connectors are covered in high quality heat shrink and color coded, black for negative and red for positive. Many converted server power supplies being sold right now do not have this feature so one could accidently plug the charger in backwards.

Fan grill – This may seem like a small thing, and it probably is, but sometimes it is the small stuff that makes all the difference. Without the fan grill to cover the fan opening it is possible to stick ones fingers through the openings and get an unpleasant surprise when you hit the fan! Putting a simple fan grill in place corrects this potential problem.

Rubber feet – This is another small but important feature. Without the rubber feet, the power supply could slip and slide around, scratch up the top of your kitchen table, etc…The feet also make it easier to wrap your hands around the power supply to pick it up quickly. Additionally, the feet will make the operation of the power supply quieter as it will cut down on vibrations when the fans rev up under heavy load, though this is only a minimal concern because the fans are already very quiet.

Custom Orders – I will do custom orders. If you want it done, send me a PM and I will let you know if it is possible. For instance, if you want a different type of connector I can probably do it. Longer or shorter power cords, I can do that too. Just let me know what you would like done.

Foreign Countries – Solid Hobby, LLC is 100% owned and operated in the United States of America. However, I am perfectly willing and able to ship overseas. As you can see below, the power supplies are capable of being run on anything from 100 volts to 240 volts AC and 50 to 60 hertz so these can easily be converted to operate in any foreign country that has a power grid which falls within these parameters. Just let me know what type of plug you need and I will have it custom made to meet your local needs.

Basic power specs that apply to all Solid Hobby power supplies:

AC Input:
100V-240V
50-60Hz
8.65A (Max) per PSU

DC Output:
47A
12V/24V
575 Watts/1150 Watts

Additional specs (also included in all power supplies):

Active Power Factor Correction (APFC) – This means the power supply operates very efficiently maximizing the power you can get from a single standard household circuit or a generator.

Over Current Protection – If the maximum load is exceeded, the power supply will automatically cut power and go into standby mode to protect itself (and you) from any potential damage. When, or if, this ever happens, simply turn off the power supply, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on and everything will function normally once again.

Short Circuit Protection – If the positive and negative leads accidentally come into contact, the power supply will go into standby mode to prevent any damage. As with the over current protection described above, when, or if, this ever happens, simply turn off the power supply, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on and everything will function normally once again.

Size – Excluding the leads and power cord the 24v supplies are 4.5” x 3” x 12”. The 12v supplies are 2.25” x 3” x 12”.

Solid Hobby Products

I also sell these power supplies at www.solidhobby.com Check my website for specials. Currently, I am running a special where you get $30 off a power supply if you bundle your purchase with a PowerLab charger.

Power24+
The Power24+ is a 12 volt plus 24 volt power supply. It is covered in black Hangar 9 Ultracote. It is rated up to 47 amps which will provide you with 575 watts of power on 12 volts or 1150 watts of power on 24 volts. Included jumper can be removed for two 12 volt power supplies, if desired. Multiple chargers can be connected simultaneously as long as the total current does not exceed the maximum rating. If you do happen to exceed the maximum rating the over current protection will kick in and you simply need to shut down and restart the power supply (discussed above under Over Current Protection). Voltages are clearly marked on each power supply with high quality vinyl labeling so you know you are plugging into the right voltage lead. The Power24+ comes standard with 4mm bullet connectors to connect your charger. The 4mm bullet connectors are color coded with heat shrink, black for negative and red for positive. I can do custom orders if you need something other than 4mm bullets. As mentioned above, the Power24+ also comes standard with a switched Y-cable power cord so you have an on/off switch and only take up one power outlet. You can select either the hanging style switched Y-cord or the top mount style switch power cord option. Power supply instruction manual is included. Price is $114.95 + shipping (see note below on shipping). Price includes free Solid Hobby switched power cord with on/off switch ($21 value) Please PM me to purchase. Please indicate which switched power cord option you would like, top mount or hanging style.

The Solid Hobby power supplies are compatible with any charger that will accept 12 volt or 24 volt DC input. The Power24+ is best when used to power a 24 volt capable charger such as the iCharger 206B, 208B, 306B, 3010B or the FMA PowerLab 6 or PowerLab 8 chargers. Please ensure that you do not connect the 24 volt leads of the Power24+ to a charger that is not 24 volt capable. Please note, you can purchase the Power24+ supply for a charger that is not 24 volt capable to provide for future upgradability as the Power24+ supply has both 12 volt and 24 volt DC outputs.

Power24 EC5
The Power24 EC5 is very similar to the Power24+ except that it has only one 24 volt DC output that comes pre-wired with an EC5 connector for use with the FMA PowerLab 6 or PowerLab 8 chargers. It uses heavy duty 10 AWG silicon wire soldered directly to the power supply leads and EC5 connector. It is covered in black Hangar 9 Ultracote. It is a 24 volt power supply capable of up to 47 amps which will provide 1150 watts of power. This is a lot of power! This amount of power is effectively the limit most regular household circuits can provide in the US. As with the Power24+, the Power24 EC5 also comes standard with a switched Y-cable power cord so you have an on/off switch and only take up one power outlet. You can select either the hanging style switched Y-cord or the top mount style switch power cord option. Power supply instruction manual is included. Price is $114.95 + shipping (see note below on shipping). Price includes free Solid Hobby switched power cord with on/off switch ($21 value) Please PM me to purchase. Please indicate which switched power cord option you would like, top mount or hanging style.

Power12
The Power12 is a 12 volt 47 amp 575 watt power supply. It is covered in black Hangar 9 Ultracote. Multiple 12 volt charges can be connected to it simultaneously as long as the total power draw does not exceed 47 amps or 575 watts. If you do happen to exceed the maximum rating, the over current protection will kick in and you will simply need to shut down and restart the power supply (discussed above under Over Current Protection). The leads are clearly marked. The negative bullet connectors are covered in black heat shrink while the positive connectors are covered in red so you will not mix them up when plugging in your charger. Instruction manual included. Price is $64.95 + shipping (see note below on shipping). Price includes free Solid Hobby switched power cord with on/off switch ($18 value) Please PM me to purchase. Please indicate which switched power cord option you would like, top mount or hanging style.

Click this banner add below for special deals!

Note on shipping
Shipping costs are purely what it costs me to ship the power supply to you. I do not mark them up or include any amount for packaging or handling costs. In an effort to make shipping costs as fair and low cost as possible, I am offering multiple shipping methods. In most cases FedEx will be the least expensive option, but this is dependent on location. Please visit www.solidhobby.com to view the cost of shipping using either FedEx, USPS, or UPS to your location. Just add your desired product(s) into your shopping cart and see the shipping options prior to check out.

***All Solid Hobby power supplies are now shipped wrapped in anti-static bubble wrap, packed with foam around all sides (double foam in front of the main power leads for added protection), inside a triple walled white mailer box, which is inside another larger box with newsprint as a gap filler. The switched power cord is inside another smaller triple walled white mailer which goes inside the larger box as well (smaller triple walled white mailer for switched power cord is not shown in the below pictures). The packaging is very robust and will ensure your power supply arrives to you in the same condition it was when it left the shop. (see pictures of packaging below)***

Switched Power Cords
If you already own a converted server power supply and would just like to purchase the in-line Y-cable with on/off switch or single power cord with on/off switch you can buy the switched power cords here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1758208

I hope to be able to meet all your power supply needs. If you have any suggestions for me or see any potential ways that I can improve upon the products I am offering, please let me know via PM. I am truly grateful for any and all feedback and input both positive and constructive. Thanks for looking! :)

Thank You,
Jeremy Olson
Solid Hobby, LLC

Attachments

• Power24+ Showing hanging style switched power cord option.jpg
    Power24+ Showing hanging style switched power cord option.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Power24+ Showing jumper disconnected, can be used as two.jpg
    Power24+ Showing jumper disconnected, can be used as two.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 425
  • Power24+ Showing rubber feet.jpg
    Power24+ Showing rubber feet.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 398
  • Power24+ Showing top mount switched power cord option.jpg
    Power24+ Showing top mount switched power cord option.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 362
  • Power24+ Showing top mount switched power cord velcro attachment method.jpg
    Power24+ Showing top mount switched power cord velcro attachment method.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 469
  • Power24 EC5 Showing hanging style swtiched power cord option.jpg
    Power24 EC5 Showing hanging style swtiched power cord option.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 376
  • Power24 EC5 Showing rubber feet.jpg
    Power24 EC5 Showing rubber feet.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 362
  • Power24 EC5 Showing top mount switched power cord option.jpg
    Power24 EC5 Showing top mount switched power cord option.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 392
  • Power12 Showing hanging style switched power cord option.jpg
    Power12 Showing hanging style switched power cord option.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 329
  • Power12 Showing rubber feet.jpg
    Power12 Showing rubber feet.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 338
  • Power12 Showing top mount switched power cord option.jpg
    Power12 Showing top mount switched power cord option.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC04359.jpg
    DSC04359.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 345
  • DSC04355.jpg
    DSC04355.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC04351.jpg
    DSC04351.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC04348.jpg
    DSC04348.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC04340.jpg
    DSC04340.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 342
  • DSC04337.jpg
    DSC04337.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC04335.jpg
    DSC04335.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 307
Last edited by a moderator:
Questions regarding the Solidhobby Power24+

I'm currently building a portable charging station and will be using 2 Power24+ supplies to power 2 PowerLab 8 chargers. I'm stuffing all that into a Pelican Storm 23 and would like to add an intake and exhaust fan in the case for cooling, however I'm not electrician. I've included an image of how I "think" I would wire this up so I could utilize the 24v for my charger but also run the fans off 12v at the same time. I was also wonder if it would be ok to splice into the main cord running into the switch and connect it to an AC case adapter like the one you see here. http://www.progressiverc.com/ac-adapter-for-prc-hardline-cases.html I would use this adapter to connect the two. http://www.progressiverc.com/power-supply-to-ac-adapter-cable-for-prc-hardline-cases.html Any suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated.

ps_wiring.jpg

On that note, because I haven't ran across any good portable charger build logs, I plan on documenting the full build in order to contribute to this great forum. Most of what I've found in regards to portable charging cases are threads of people showing their cases off. Which is cool and all for ideas, but doesn't help when you finally want to build your own.

I also wanted to say how impressed I am with these power supplies. Not only do they look great, but they put out tons of power and run very quietly. As a matter of fact, my Hitec X4 Plus, which is only 200w, is louder than the 1150 watt Power24+. The switched Y cord is awesome, I'm very happy with this PS!

Thanks xCrashNBurnx! Yes, you can connect to the spots you pointed out for 12v and 24v respectively. Also, you can splice into main AC power cord to do what you mentioned, just a word of caution, since that is at mains voltage, make sure you know what you are doing and don't short anything. Be sure to have good insulation/spacing between all the spliced wires.

fixxin2fly

70cc twin V2
Good luck on the new job Jeremy and have a safe move. Update when you get settled as I will be needing one of your 24v supplies by then. Thanks for a great product and like I said, let us know.

Solid Hobby Power Supplies - 12v/24v, 47A, 1150 Watts! Includes Switched Power

Thank you! It's been pretty crazy, I got the job offer last Friday and they want me to start in 3 weeks. So we are scrambling to get everything moved. I have family out there so it will be a good move for us.

I will definitely let you know once Solid Hobby is back up and running.

wedoitall

oh noes, lol was about ready to hit the buy button on the PSU.

good luck with the move, you have an ETA on when you can ship again?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Solid Hobby Power Supplies - 12v/24v, 47A, 1150 Watts! Includes Switched Power

oh noes, lol was about ready to hit the buy button on the PSU.

good luck with the move, you have an ETA on when you can ship again?

NLT 8 March according to the first post.

Good luck with the move Jeremy!

NLT 8 March according to the first post.

Good luck with the move Jeremy!

Thanks! I updated the post to remove the ETA...I don't want to make any promises I can't deliver and the way things are shaping up it looks like there is really no way I will be back up by March 8. The moving company I found out yesterday may not even have all my things there until March 13, so it will be a moving target. I will definately let you all know once I am up and running again.

wedoitall

yea nothing hardly ever happens on due dates, when your moving or building. i havent had good luck with moving companies, hope yours works out better. i'd say youll like AZ better tho. i know i would love to have great flying weather everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.