• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

So just how does Aero-Tow Soaring work?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
AERO-TOW involves towing sailplanes to altitude and then releasing them via a servo actuated mechanism but what's involved and what do the parts look like?

To put it in terms of the big parts there's a tow plane, a long tow line, and a sailplane or glider. The tow planes pull the gliders up to altitude via the tow line and when the glider pilot is happy with the altitude and position he/she hits the release and flies off while the tow plane returns to land and hooks up to another glider for another launch.

I should emphasize that just about any plane can be made to tow gliders and just about any glider (sailplane, glider, motor-glider, etc.) can be launched via aero-tow. The only catch is that a small plane can't necessarily aero-tow a very large glider, the power has to be there to tow the glider at the aft end of the line. Bigger tow planes can tow very small gliders though.

So let's look at the small pieces involved in making this work. First there needs to be a place on the tow plane and on the glider to connect the tow line. Both connection points have be controlled by servos so that the tow pilot or the glider being towed can disconnect at any time.

On the glider the connection point is either centered in the nose cone or somewhere just below and aft of the nose. The tow line isn't connected directly to the release mechanism, a loop is used between the glider and the tow line to facilitate quicker turnaround times on the runway when aircraft are lined up awaiting launch.

These pictures show the loops attached to the fronts of the sailplanes
063-IMG_0200_MM.jpg
060-IMG_0196_MM.jpg
057-IMG_0193_MM.jpg

A few sample release mechanisms can be found here
http://www.iflytailies.com/store/tow-releases/

The tow line is then attached to the loop via a fishing clasp
058-IMG_0194_MM.jpg

059-IMG_0195_MM.jpg

The loop stand is the center of activity at an event
073-IMG_0215_MM.jpg

The tow line is pretty long, depending on the size of the aircraft being flown it can be as short as 20 ft for foamies pulling foamies or 100 ft or more for giants scale tugs pulling giant scale sailplanes. Also, as the aircraft get larger and heavier, the tow line has to be thinker/stronger.
088-IMG_0235_MM.jpg

The tow line attaches to the tow plane in a way that is different from full scale aircraft. Although it's been tried, when the tow lines are attached to the tail (as it is done with full scale tow planes) the tow planes are harder to control and are more affected by the glider being towed. So to make the tow plane fly well for the RC tow pilot, the tow line is attached to the top of the fuselage somewhere just behind the wing's trailing edge. By doing this, when the glider is at its optimum position above and behind the tow plane, the tow line is very nearly in line with the tow plane's CG allowing it to fly almost unaffected by the glider being towed behind it.

A mechanism called a "tow hitch" is where the tow line is connected to the tow plane. It is servo controlled allowing the tow pilot to release the tow line (and the glider being towed) in the event of an emergency with either the glider or the tow plane.
065-IMG_0205_MM.jpg
046-IMG_0180_MM.jpg
034-IMG_0168_MM.jpg

In this picture of @JimD 's 100cc Hangar 9 Super Decathlon (with a DA-120 and 100 ounces of fuel) you can see the tow line attached to the hitch just above the cabin. It is very rare but it has happened where the tow line has damaged the vertical stabilizer.
061-IMG_0198_MM.jpg

Here's a sample of how things go when everything is running smoothly

Giant scale soaring is fun and very relaxing, flights can be hours long when there's lift and everyone works hard to maintain that very friendly environment that we all love to be a part of!

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent write up @Bartman !
I've always wanted to try this. I've even had a couple of planes I setup as tugs but I never got the opportunity to try it out.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Thanks for the info Bartman. I'd love the chance to fly a tow plane some day.

So is the release mechanism on the glider just like the mechanism on the tow plane? I'm a little lost on that point.

Lojik

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the info Bartman. I'd love the chance to fly a tow plane some day.

So is the release mechanism on the glider just like the mechanism on the tow plane? I'm a little lost on that point.

Very Similar pawnshopmike, depends on the setup but most guys here use the below in the gliders:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSBU4
http://www.multiplex-rc.de/en/produ...roduct&cHash=418a0c7c689ae2aae4fd87ee985d607c

Its the same concept as the tow plane one but "inline" so it can fit inside the nose of the fuse and not effect the streamline profile, also allows for a cleaner tow as the plane is dragged along its fuse center line and not above or below the center of mas

Last edited:

Lojik

70cc twin V2
Its not the only way to do it, but imho the safest way, i've seen setups with only a release on the plane side and its ended in tears :)

other ways are making a servo controlled release just below the nose of the fuse, usually just using a flexible rod that passes over a "gap" in the fuse where the loop is attached.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Some guys show up and tow all day, some fly the sailplanes. It's all good, everybody goes home smiling.

For what it's worth,
Sailplanes are designed to be able to sustain flight in the right conditions.
Gliders might be able to sustain flight but aren't generally expected to be able to do much more than glide to a landing.

So, sailplanes are gliders but gliders aren't sailplanes even though the words are sometimes used interchangeably.

:)