• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

SmartFly Power Expander Pro question

njswede

150cc
Are the servo outputs individually protected on a SmartFly Power Expander? In other words, if I short plus and ground on one output, does that affect the entire positive rail or is there circuitry that isolates the shorted output?

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The servos are only protected if the signal line is hit. If a servo should short internally it would effect the signal and the expander would protect the other servos on the channel. The actual power lines (+ & -) do not have that protection, but, it would cause an issue with one battery and the expander should isolate that battery. Don't hold my words as absolute for I use Smart-Fly but am no pro in their workings. An email to Smart-Fly would be your best route and they are generally very quick to respond.

njswede

150cc
I'm doing a post crash investigation on my 104" Slick (RIP) and one if the possible causes is a short in a worn servo wire. I had a complete loss of control in a high speed KE-pass. You can guess the rest. :(

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Oh, that sucks. I would think with a + to - short the servo would have fried before the expander. And even then the signal side should have been fine ,especially with the rest of the system. Are you running dual batteries to the expander? And what radio are you using?