• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Should we create an 3D competition in the 50" to 74" Class?

Should 3DRCForums create an Amatuer 3D Competition?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Nah, too many events this year already.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyro

GSN Contributor
We've seen some of the discontent lately regarding 3D competitions, specifically a lack of events for smaller aircraft, so we are exploring the interest from our members in a 3D contest.
The way we see it, it should be a 100% 3D contest, and judged as such. No points for IMAC sequences, or smoke, etc. Just simply how well you can Huck!

Also, we think the focus should be on the Amateurs, but it doesn't have to be. Maybe it should be open to all?

So we need your feedback to make this work. Here is our vision:

- Entrants may NOT be sponsored by an Aircraft Manufacturer
- Entrant's aircraft must fit within the size category of 50" up to 74" (gas or electric is OK)

So... should we do this?

If you think so, please answer the following questions in the thread:

1. Should this be a stand-alone 2 day event? (i.e. Friday-Saturday) or Should we try to include it in an existing event if possible
  2. Should we only focus on Amateurs?
  3. What criteria for judging?

Please feel free to share your thoughts regardless of your vote in the poll.

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
I vote for having it in connection with a FLI! Either way I like the idea. Especially if we can host it in the tristate area... :)

I think that the size limits should be a bit larger, like ranging from 50" to 50cc birds.

I also think it should be with an existing event. :)

wedoitall

I think it should be at one of the scheduled FLI also. Maybe at one FLI you could have a Pro and at a different FLI host a Amatuer contest. I dont think there should be any age restrictions on any contest.

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
I think that the size limits should be a bit larger, like ranging from 50" to 50cc birds.

I also think it should be with an existing event. :)

Having a 50cc will give you a big advantage, plus there is already the King50 for that :). I would say limit it at 30cc, and a one day event will be plenty, unless you do qualification for top 10 on Friday (depending on number of entrants). Then final 10 on Saturday. I would say yes on the "amateurs" only, as in not sponsored by an aircraft manufacturer and criteria would be WOW! factor, low and hard 3D, and also choreographed to music in some way.

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
I like the idea, however I feel to keep it fair it should be 60'' and under. 30cc birds would be to much of an advantage. Also I think it should be open to everyone.

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
I like the idea, however I feel to keep it fair it should be 60'' and under. 30cc birds would be to much of an advantage. Also I think it should be open to everyone.

I think if you are good enough you can EASILY compete with a 58" or similar in the 30cc and under class.

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
perhaps, but would a 30cc not have a big advantage in wind verses a 60''? Also there is going to be more of a wow factor with a 30cc plane that you would not get with a 60''. just some things to think about.

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
perhaps, but would a 30cc not have a big advantage in wind verses a 60''? Also there is going to be more of a wow factor with a 30cc plane that you would not get with a 60''. just some things to think about.

If that is the case then we would have to have an individual class for each airplane size 30-40..40-50...50-60...60-70....and so on. Doing this will limit the number of participants involved and in the end taking up WAY to much time, and decreasing the WOW factor involved with the event, plus the prizes would be smaller.

I'm not saying that 30cc will handle the wind like a smaller airplane would, but a lot of that can be thrown in with the routine and use the wind to their advantage during the flight (the flight might not be as "crisp and smooth" as a 30cc flight, but this isn't an IMAC competition is it?).

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
i think with the recent advances in the 57-64" class, there is not a huge difference in air presence compared to a 30cc plane. not to mention there is not a big price different between the two either. also the 30cc class is rediculously popular. i love the idea of not allowing 50cc as that is a different price range and brings in a whole boat load of other things to deal with. i like the idea of no airframe sponsorships, that really lets some guys get exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.