• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Servos Locked Up

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Hey Guys,

Can anyone tell me what would cause aileron servos to lock up. Everything was working fine and moving correctly, then during setup of travel and subtrim they decided to just lock up and now they don't want to move. Even by hand!

TX is a DX8
Talon 90 set to 6V for servos
HS 5245MG Servos
Spektrum AR 6210 RX

Found this post.
http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?1437-HS-5245MG-failure

Last edited by a moderator:

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
That would be a no and a yes sir. Also I hooked up 4 Hitec HS-7954's and test them on this setup and they work perfect. Here's the whole setup....

3DHS 61" Extra 330LT
Extreme Flight Torque 4016T 500Kv motor.
Castle Creations Talon 90 BEC set to 6V for servos.
Hitec HS-5245MG
TX is a DX8
Spektrum AR 6210 RX

Servo arm on the Elevator is a SWB MFG "Double-Loc" Half Arm - 1.5"
Servo arm on the Ailerons is Du-Bro Super Strength Servo Arms (Long Hitec)
Rudder has the Du-Bro as well. None of these are binding in any way.

Not sure if any of that makes any difference at all but there you go anyway. :)

cam4569

70cc twin V2
So your servos are toast from the sounds of it. Rx is putting signal out because other servos work, and the servos that dont work also dont work on other channels

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
So your servos are toast from the sounds of it. Rx is putting signal out because other servos work, and the servos that dont work also dont work on other channels

Actually it's just the Ailerons that are locked up, the rudder works fine. Don't have the Elevator hooked up because it went bad as well. Theres a whole big story behind all this, just not sure if I wan't to go through the big process of explaining it. Maybe I will, just can't right now.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Hey Cam I writing up my story on a word doc right now brother so you can have the whole weird ass story. :megaroll: So give me a little bit and I'll post it up when I get it done. :)

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Hopefully this all makes sense to you, Im pretty tired while writing this.

Okay here's the story behind the 3DHS 61" Extra 330LT:
This is a new build, I purchased everything from Northwest RC. The original specs are as follows...

Extra 330LT
Motor: Torque 4016T/500KV MKII
ESC: Airboss 80A
Prop: Falcon 15x8
Servos: Hitec HS-5245MG
TX: Spektrum AR 7610
Batts: 6S 2650-3200mAh

Put the plane together got the TX bound to the RX and all control surfaces are moving freely and in the correct directions. The motor spins up nicely and is very responsive. In fact I went ahead and did a test on it before moving on with anything else. I posted up a video of it which can be seen HERE. After the test I started to set my servos travel and sub-trim. It was at this point and time I ran into my first issue. Mind you everything was working perfect all that is left was to dial in the servos. Okay so I started with the Rudder and got that done, moved on to the Ailerons. It's during this time when the servos decided to jump and I then heard a pop and then the servos stopped working, I started looking around and noticed some smoke come out from the cowl. Oh crap unplugged the battery real quick and got the cowl back off. Yep the ESC is toast. I can't see anything wrong with it, but I can for sure smell the burnt component. "Side note when I swapped out the Airboss for a FTW Gecko I had laying around is when I noticed that some of the servos would move, but only in one direction and were very weak, one servo don't remember which one would not move at all".

I was able to determine that when the ESC went out it took the servos with it, all of them. So I ordered 4 more plus bought a new CC Talon 90. I went ahead and changed the RX from the Spektrum AR 7610 to a AR 6210 because I have no Idea if it was damaged as well. Okay so now I have changed everything except the motor to all new components and this is where we are now talking about it. This is about as condensed as I can get it and still make sense to you. Trust me the story is much larger than this, but I hate drama so I left out the other BS. Basically I have gone through 8 new servos and I can't figure out why. Here's something else to think about. I have tested the following servos in place of these 5245's and have not encountered a single problem. Keep in mind they were not mounted because they were all too big. HS-7954SH/HS-5645/HS-8775MG. All of them worked perfect.

I thought maybe I reversed something or hooked up something wrong, but I know I did not. If that was the case I could never of been able to run the tests on the motor and put it through its paces like that. Besides, the connections are pretty much idiot proof, they only connect one way. I just plain don't know what the deal is. If it is something I did I'm good with that at least I will know what it is and I can fix it, but I honestly don't know what it is I could of or did do wrong. I have never ever experienced this before. I mean 8 servos going bad like this, that in itself is really strange. Oh well at this point all I can do is send the servos to Hitec and see what they discover then see what can be done. Maybe I can work out a deal with them. They keep all 8 servos and trade me up for some HS-7245MG's.

Something I may have to consider, but did not want to do, is enlarge the servo mounting hole more so I can fit a larger servo in there. Don't know man Im into these things for about $320 and even if Hitec was to fix them I just don't know if I can put them back in. Pretty dang gun shy now. So there you have it my friends.