• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

SE Engines

IFLYJR

50cc
Anyone have comments on these engines. The 112 and a 56. Have a chance to purchase new in box.

thanks Tim

Robotech

70cc twin V2
IFLYJR said
Anyone have comments on these engines. The 112 and a 56. Have a chance to purchase new in box.

thanks Tim
Normal Chinese offering with the same expected benefits/drawbacks. Lower price/lower quality but in most cases, usable.

Super08

70cc twin V2
The quality on the 56 and 112 made by DLA was far below what DLE offered at the time. The SE was made by DLA and he said were better made. (ha) Even simple things like holes drilled and tapped too large for the bolts. I had a 56 that I had to replace the carb, hub, reed block to make it useable. Total junk in my opinion, the forums were full of people with the same problems.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Super08 said
The quality on the 56 and 112 made by DLA was far below what DLE offered at the time. The SE was made by DLA and he said were better made. (ha) Even simple things like holes drilled and tapped too large for the bolts. I had a 56 that I had to replace the carb, hub, reed block to make it useable. Total junk in my opinion, the forums were full of people with the same problems.
Heard that same thing. Fortunately I steered clear when I had the opportunity to buy a brand new never ran DLE 55 with bowman ring for $275.00. 

Super08

70cc twin V2
There is a reason when things are cheap. Boils down to you get what you pay for. I gave up on buying cheap engines a long time ago as they cost you more in the end. It is up to you and whether you want to risk it, your planes and equipment or not.

IFLYJR

50cc
Super 8 your right . Not sure what I am going to do. I have had good luck in the past. Had mt-57 ran great no problems RCGF also ran great. I like to tinker.

Thanks Tim

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Super08 said
There is a reason when things are cheap. Boils down to you get what you pay for. I gave up on buying cheap engines a long time ago as they cost you more in the end. It is up to you and whether you want to risk it, your planes and equipment or not.
Yup... tis the truth. I will say though, I did buy one really dirt cheap gasser when I switched from glow to gas. Purchased an RCG 50cc from HK. Oh heck, what did I know at the time? Turns out, that had to be one of the best running little motors I have had to date. Started and ran "perfect" straight out of the box. Not one dead stick, and not one issue with that motor. I would take the plane it was mounted on, (Great Planes Edge 540) mainly because it was so darned dependable. Every single time I would go out, "ONE FLIP" and she was running. I put somewhere around 70-80 flights on that plane and motor before I sold it. The gentleman that bought it loves it. And it is still running the same today. Sometimes I do miss that motor. (Who's to say how long it is going to run that way though, right?) But as mentioned, you do get what you pay for. I personally think spending a little more in the beginning, will save you lots of heartache down the line. I dunno.... $400.00 for 2 "56's" and 1 "112"? I just have to agree with Doug. 
winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif