• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rolling Harrier Loops

sparkx38

50cc
I'd like to hear any tips or techniques on the Rolling harrier loop. I do pretty well until I get over the top and I blow it most every time. What is the trick to make the second half of the loop and keep it round?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Last year I was at the same point and I never nailed it until I was able to adjust throttle while continuing to do the roller. Once you can do that it's all cake with a little timing and sounds like you are already half there. Once you cross the top you need to be able to cut out some throttle and increase the speed of your roller until you get to the bottom then increase throttle again and continue the roller. Like everything just practice. This isn't the greatest example because I was just messing around on a maiden flight but at about 2:40 a little rolling loopish kinda thing and you can hear the throttle chance and see how the plane maintains speed and momentum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYLP7gicXgs&list=UUmN3am68lG1nMdT8ujT6GyQ#t=149

This one shows doing it without the throttle change but but timing increases significantly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYLP7gicXgs&list=UUmN3am68lG1nMdT8ujT6GyQ#t=267

BalsaDust

Great tip there Terry. I finally am starting to feel confident enough with my skills that I'm starting to practice certain maneuvers. Working on my flat spins right now.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
The timing with the throttle is crucial and you always go full throttle until you pass the 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock. Than you time it with the elevator and rudder so they will keep the plane lift it nose.

The throttle on that point doesn't go to idle but to 1/2 or 3/4.

When you get to the 3-4 o'clock point you than go full throttle again.

You finish it with full throttle cause at that point the plane is totally stalled

A good way to try it on the sim is by lowering the sim speed and practice the timing between the throttle and the ele and rudd.

In real it needs to be very fast.

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Subscribed to this. I am at a stall with learning Rolling Loops. It's a chicken thing for me however. I roll up and over the top chicken out on the down side

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Sim is the best way to know and understand these maneuvers.

By practicing it with sim, it will be much easier to do that in the air.

It's all about reflexes you'll need to teach them.

As for the chicken up top, just fly it higher than you use to.

If you've got a smaller plane try it with it.

sparkx38

50cc
Terryscustom;5622 wrote: Last year I was at the same point and I never nailed it until I was able to adjust throttle while continuing to do the roller. Once you can do that it's all cake with a little timing and sounds like you are already half there. Once you cross the top you need to be able to cut out some throttle and increase the speed of your roller until you get to the bottom then increase throttle again and continue the roller. Like everything just practice. This isn't the greatest example because I was just messing around on a maiden flight but at about 2:40 a little rolling loopish kinda thing and you can hear the throttle chance and see how the plane maintains speed and momentum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYLP7gicXgs&list=UUmN3am68lG1nMdT8ujT6GyQ#t=149

This one shows doing it without the throttle change but but timing increases significantly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYLP7gicXgs&list=UUmN3am68lG1nMdT8ujT6GyQ#t=267

Thanks Terry. Video always helps. Definitely a throttle timing issue with me I think. Like learning rollers guess I will just have to try, try, try and try some more till it clicks.

sparkx38

50cc
TazmanianDevil;5671 wrote: The timing with the throttle is crucial and you always go full throttle until you pass the 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock. Than you time it with the elevator and rudder so they will keep the plane lift it nose.

The throttle on that point doesn't go to idle but to 1/2 or 3/4.

When you get to the 3-4 o'clock point you than go full throttle again.

You finish it with full throttle cause at that point the plane is totally stalled

A good way to try it on the sim is by lowering the sim speed and practice the timing between the throttle and the ele and rudd.

In real it needs to be very fast.

Thanks Taz. I think reducing the throttle to early is another problem I have . Thanks for the 10/2 tip.

Headed to the field today, maybe I can get someone to throw a camera on me while I attempt it and we can better pic out my errors.

Thanks again for the help.

nebwake

70cc twin V2
TazmanianDevil;5691 wrote: Sim is the best way to know and understand these maneuvers.

By practicing it with sim, it will be much easier to do that in the air.

It's all about reflexes you'll need to teach them.

As for the chicken up top, just fly it higher than you use to.

If you've got a smaller plane try it with it.
Funny you say smaller plane, I tried for years with small planes because I was too chicken with my 40% er and never could nail them. When I sacked up and tried it with my big stuff, I nailed it first time. The small planes are just a little fast for me.