• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Redwing 89" Extra 330SC

gyro

GSN Contributor
This will be my build log of the new RedwingRC 89" Extra 330SC

50cc_EXTRA-330_17.jpg

I'll be building this airplane with the following equipment:

Engine: GP61cc with GP Pitts Muffler all from @Limitless Aero
Prop: Xion 24x10 Carbon Fiber from @RedwingRC
Servos: @HitecRCD HS-8335SH on control surfaces, and HS-5665MH on throttle
Servo Arms: SpotOnRC arms all around, with Secraft Couplers/Tensioners on the Rudder, all from @Aztech Aeromodels
Guidance: @HitecRCD Optima 9 receiver with Aurora 9x transmitter
E-Power: @Fromeco ReLion Lithium Ion Battery (x2) through a Wolverine Switch
Fuel: @WrongWayRc 20oz Smart Water Bottle conversion clear fuel tank
Storage: @RedwingRC 50cc sized wingbag

TimP

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Oh Yeah! It's going to be a sweet build I know! I've seen GYRO's planes. Can't wait to see you get her up and going

gyro

GSN Contributor
My plane shipped direct from China... And it showed on the box. All the corners were rounded, and there were a few tears and punctures in the outer layer of the cardboard.

Inside, this is how the plane arrived:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403651456.532904.jpg

The small attachment tab for one elevator was broken, and I was surprised that the wings and stabs were not taped in place, but moved freely inside the box.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403651506.134356.jpg

Once I started unpacking, my heart sunk a little... When I picked up the cowl, some paint chips fell the the floor. This is what happened during transit:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403750267.433520.jpg

I know this cowl reflects a ton of Tim's heart, soul, and effort to bring us a cool and unique airplane, so I truly wish the factory would have better protected it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403750333.921396.jpg

I've already heard back from Tim that a replacement will be on its way shortly.

The rest of the plane arrived ok, and here is what I can say from my initial observations.

It's going to be a 3D monster, the control surfaces are huge!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403750778.893233.jpg

The airfoil is also thin, so I suspect it's going to be a slippery plane too... Which means plenty of speed for spins and tumbles!

The bottom is nice and flat, should help it stay stable in upright harrier.

Beautiful painted matching spinner, and side force generators not pictured on RedwingRC's site were a nice surprise!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403751025.409675.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403751304.711313.jpg

Also, amazingly beautiful wheel pants! One of a kind for sure!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403751332.135100.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403751340.397487.jpg

Well....
Time to start building!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Sweet looking scheme!

As far as servos was it really any question you would go with anything but Hitec? LOL

Can't wait to see this finished.

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
I'm heading to the post office at 830 to pick mine up! To bad I'm heading to a funfly after that. Looks awesome.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Sweet looking scheme!

As far as servos was it really any question you would go with anything but Hitec? LOL

Can't wait to see this finished.

Yeah, that's an easy choice for me now... Plenty of other quality servos out there to pick from, but I'm going with what I know and love.

Speaking of... Check these guys out!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403790844.312051.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403790877.638180.jpg

Tons of torque and speed:
Speed @ 6.0V: 0.16 sec/60° at no load
Speed @ 7.4V: 0.13 sec/60° at no load
Stall Torque @ 6.0V: 256.90 oz/in. (18.5 kg.cm)
Stall Torque @7.4V: 333.28 oz/in. (24 kg.cm)
Dead Band Width: 2usec
Motor Type: Coreless
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearings
Gear Type: Metal Gears
Connector Wire Length: 11.8†(30mm)
Dimensions: 1.57†x 0.79†x 1.45†(40 x 20 x 37mm)
Weight: 2.25oz (64g)

Drop in a go fly! Simple easy to use with no programming required and ultra low deadband at 2usec.

AND... They're on sale now [MENTION=2628]ServoCity[/MENTION] for only $71.99 as I'm typing this... WOW!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Yeah, that's an easy choice for me now... Plenty of other quality servos out there to pick from, but I'm going with what I know and love.

Speaking of... Check these guys out!
View attachment 24773View attachment 24774

Tons of torque and speed:
Speed @ 6.0V: 0.16 sec/60° at no load
Speed @ 7.4V: 0.13 sec/60° at no load
Stall Torque @ 6.0V: 256.90 oz/in. (18.5 kg.cm)
Stall Torque @7.4V: 333.28 oz/in. (24 kg.cm)
Dead Band Width: 2usec
Motor Type: Coreless
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearings
Gear Type: Metal Gears
Connector Wire Length: 11.8” (30mm)
Dimensions: 1.57” x 0.79” x 1.45” (40 x 20 x 37mm)
Weight: 2.25oz (64g)

Drop in a go fly! Simple easy to use with no programming required and ultra low deadband at 2usec.

AND... They're on sale now ServoCity for only $71.99 as I'm typing this... WOW!

Wow nice deal!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Made some more progress on the airplane tonight... but it took more time than anticipated, so not as much was done as I'd hoped.

First, lets talk about the landing gear. It's two piece, and has 4 bolts per side, with a connecting plate for support...

it's kinda weird... and to me doesn't make a bunch of sense. would rather see one piece with a robust build and tons of strength.

first, the stuff:

IMG_4227.JPGIMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4229.JPGIMG_4228.JPG

As you see... THERE ARE DIFFERENT TYPES OF NUTS FOR 2 OF THE 4 BOLTS PER SIDE. Well, 2 need thread lock, 2 don't. The outer bolts thread into lock nuts over the aluminum L brackets, and the inner bolts thread into blind nuts. The outer bolts are not long enough to go all the way through the lock nuts. So, in order to change the gear, the whole plate has to come off. It was a bit of a PITA to install... since you can't install either side independently. I looked in the included manual (on cd) but this plane isn't in the manual, and there is no explanation for the gear).

but it's on, so up next is the wheels and pants:

Another little snag. After getting the axles on, and taking the time to install the blind nuts in the pre-cut holes in each wheel pant, I go to mount them.... and whoa nelly... the don't align. see below:
IMG_4233.JPGIMG_4234.JPG

I spent a little time with my dremel elongating the rear holes so I could mount the pants. Once on they look great.
A little surprised to see an all plastic wheel hub, and a smaller diameter axle, when many other vendors in this size provide aluminum hub gear and thicker/stronger axles.
IMG_4230.JPG

Also, the included bolts for this part of the plane are about 2mm shy of rubbing on the plastic wheels, so I went with some shorter bolts out of my parts bin.
IMG_4231.JPG

Well, she's standing on her own feet now... so hopefully more progress tomorrow.
IMG_4235.JPG

gyro

GSN Contributor
A little more work done... Both elevators are hinged up. No issues, took about a 2mm gap to get full throw, so I'll put some clear ultracote in the gap later to seal it up.

I really, REALLY love the oversize elevators. Also, the metallic blue covering contrasts so nicely with the white, this scheme is amazing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403963631.540436.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403963656.184433.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403963568.283637.jpg