• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Redwing 30cc Extra 300SC Electric Motor Choice?

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Hey fellas,

I will be starting a new build on this bird and would like to get some advice or ideas on motor selection. This will be an electric motor and as always I want to go above what is considered normal as far as power goes. Would like to keep it as light as I can, but still have brutal power on demand. Thinking 4000 to 5000 watt range. Trying to get the best of both worlds...speed and torque. Ive only ever run Motrolfly motors so I don't really know about the other offerings out there, but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out for other things and try them out. I know Hacker has good stuff... At least thats what I get from watching and listening to others from the pro's to the average guy.

Anyway I thought this would be a great topic to share idea's and opinions on for this size aircraft. So far what I have been considering is the Motrolfly DM 4330, but it only goes up to around 2700W. Still a good motor. Hacker has so many to choose from and I find it a bit hard to choose because I don't know anything about them other than what I read. No practical experience. There F3A motors seem pretty awesome. I know nothing about Omega or Rimfire motors. The ESC will probably be a Castle or Jeti.

So what do you guys think eh?

Bush :)

Bipenut53

150cc
Hey [MENTION=3728]Bushwacker[/MENTION] How about a Hacker A-60-18L with a 24x12 prop and 12s 65c 5000 mah it's right in the 3800 to 4000 watts range. 85 to 90 amps, or AXI 5325/24 will turn a 20x13 APC prop around 85 amps and 3350 watts on 10s. I have used Hacker motors before and they perform quite well although they run on the warmish side I have never had a problem with them. The AXI has a good reputation.

Just to kick things off lol

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Yeah man I have been looking at that motor too, I like it. Also looking and wondering about the Q60-7M F3A only I have never heard anyone speak of it.

So you don't want the MF 4330? On 10S or 12S it should be a beast. I have one on my 71 Extra but I'm only running 6S, it has good power but not much punch-out from hover. The 70 Slick with the same power system is a different animal being that it's a good 1-2 pounds less.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
So I keep reading that this aircraft is not on the cd that comes in the box. Has that changed, I mean the build of this plane can't be exactly the same as say the slick or mxsr is it. Curious.