• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Question..How many EXPERIMENTAL builders out there?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Was just wondering how many of you guys are moonlighting in the garage (vs. the basement shop) building a homebuilt aircraft? Also known as, EXPERIMENTAL :)

I was thinking maybe we can add a new thread title prefix, Experimental, and have our members post their builds here alongside our giant scale builds.

Would anyone be interested in seeing that? Would it be welcome or a big can or worms I'll live to regret?

Thanks!
Bart

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
There was a guy, Al, that ran a body shop right next to mine that built two airplanes, a Skybolt and an SE-5 in his garage at home. His house was only a few blocks away so I used to go by and check out his progress all the time. Very cool stuff!. The Skybolt was destroyed in a crash when his son was flying it. Al died a few years back, but his grandson is building a new Skybolt now in the same small garage. The grandson was in the first Skybolt when it crashed and killed his father.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I'd be down! I haven't built one myself but did help my pops build his S-1C growing up.

Right now we are restoring stuff, a 1946 Cub and a 1946 Luscombe 8A.
that's what I'm talking about! I've got my eyes on a set of -C ribs that are for sale, tempting!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
There was a guy, Al, that ran a body shop right next to mine that built two airplanes, a Skybolt and an SE-5 in his garage at home. His house was only a few blocks away so I used to go by and check out his progress all the time. Very cool stuff!. The Skybolt was destroyed in a crash when his son was flying it. Al died a few years back, but his grandson is building a new Skybolt now in the same small garage. The grandson was in the first Skybolt when it crashed and killed his father.
there is definitely that element involved in general aviation, we lose some good people from time to time.

let me kick this around, there's a big announcement in the works and maybe I'll just fold this smaller detail into the new development that will be going on.

thanks for the feedback everyone, i appreciate it.

Bipeguy03

150cc
I'll have to snap some pics in the next few days then cause I don't have many on my computer.

Here's a shot of Dad's Pitts, a couple of his 1940 Luscombe 8C still needs paint but is flying (it will be the subject of a 1/3 scale build soon) and the new floorboards that I made for the Cub. I'll get some pics of the Cub here soon because we are starting to cover it. I don't have any pics of the 1946 Luscombe 8A yet but I'll get some.

dads pitts.jpg
dads luscombe.jpg
dads luscombe 2.jpg
floorboards.jpg