• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Props

balsa

50cc
Whats the diff from an old nitro prop to the electric props out there. I have a .40 nitro plane that I am converting into a electric. I have box full of old mastersrew 9x6 props just wondering why I could not use those on the Drop Drive 35-36A 1800KV/850W motor from hobby king.

This is the trainer for the kid.

Thanks for any help

kwj48

70cc twin V2
You could use them but the electric props are much lighter, have a thinner hub area and will have less draw on the system. Best thing to do is make sure you get yourself a meter and don't over prop the system.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
You could always use the old Master Airscrews for mixing epoxy:devil-dance:

I actually use Xoar electric or Vess wood props and they are really good!

balsa

50cc
Ok I got another question what size prop if it is like a .40 nitro then run simular size prop? like my old enya .35 liked a 9x6 that is what the electric motor is replacing is that a good place to start?

Thanks

You are probably looking at 10" props. Best thing to do is invest in a Watt meter (Watts UP and Astro make great meters), and hook it up inline from the battery to the ESC. And then take notes of Amperage and Wattage readings. Then change props. You are only going to be holding full power for at most 5 seconds. Once you get to testing props, try a glow prop and then try an E prop of the same size. You'll see quite a bit of difference between the 2.

You don't need to be at maximum amp draw that the ESC is rated for. Leave yourself a little overhead.

The advice on watt and amp meters is very good. But while you are waiting for delivery on yours, and since you have a large selection of props, try several. Use a fish scale to evaluate thrust. That isn't the whole answer as you can bog down your electrics very easily trying to maximize thrust, but it will give you a feel about how your electric motor/ESC/ battery system responds to prop size and pitch. If you have a couple of electric props you can show the advantage they have in many cases.

Electrics have many more variables than the glow engines you were used to, so prop selection isn't as simple and straightforward as it was with glow.

I do have airplanes which fly quite well on Top Flight props, though not necessarily with optimum performance or flight time. I find their appearance more pleasing than electric props on some airplanes. Don't be afraid of giving them a try on your plane.