• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Pilot Yak 19% (53")

njswede

150cc
From manufacturer:

Pilot RC 19% 53" YAK 54 Carbon Fiber ARF (Almost-Ready-to-Fly) Electric Airplane

Unquestionably, Pilot RC manufactures the finest Balsa Planes in the world. No corners were cut when creating this electric version. Also included in the kit are parts that allow micro servos for separate elevator servos like its big brothers.

Chief recommends the Hacker A30-12XL with a 55 amp ESC with a Thunder Power 2250 3S 45C. Bolt on the New Aero Model 14x7 Carbon prop and you'll have a Hoot! Guaranteed!

Strong Light Weight Construction
Professional designed for 3D and precision aerobatics
Professionally covered in Oracover(Ultracote) from Germany
Complete hardware included
Removable wings
All control horns included
Pre hinged wings
Pre mounted and painted Canopy
Pre drilled control horns with beautiful translucency color
Highly detailed painted wheel pants
Removable painted canopy
Blown plastic turtle deck
Super large ailerons
Elevators and Rudder requires mini servos

Carbon Fiber accessories:

Carbon Fiber wing tube included
Carbon Fiber landing gear included
Carbon Fiber tail wheel included
Carbon Fiber spinner include, Painted Carbon Fiber spinner to match your scheme!

Radio:

5 channel
4 Mini servos

Recommended Electric Setup:

Hacker A30-12XL Motor with X-55 ESC
3S 2250 - 2700mAh 45C LiPo battery

njswede

150cc
As some of you know, I recently got one of these beauties and I'm currently working on the build. It's going really well so far and the quality of the airframe seems excellent. I will post a more thorough build thread/review soon.

Here she is on my workbench:

IMG_2304.jpg

njswede

150cc
I just finished my build! Now all I need is sub 15mph winds, above 40F temps and no rain or snow to take her for a spin.

Here's what I ended up putting in it:

* HURC FirePower 46 Sport (720kv/1000W)
* ZTW A-series 70A
* Hitec HS-5085MG all around

Should be pretty nice, I think. I'll get back with more info as soon as I've had her for a spin!

njswede

150cc
I'm hoping for some decent weather around Christmas so I can take it for a spin. I'm working on a thorough review of the plane, but it will have to wait until I've had a chance to fly it.

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
I finally got a chance to maiden my Yak today (albeit in snow and freezing temperatures). The first flight was silly tail heavy, so it wasn't exactly enjoyable. I had to push my 3000mAh 4s almost all the way forward to make it balance. Once I had the CG right it was a very nice plane to fly. Unfortunately I damaged the canopy clasp during setup (completely my own fault) and ejected the canopy in a snaproll on the second flight. I found the canopy, but I didn't want to continue flying with a damaged clasp, so that put an end to my attempt at a flight review. Trying again this weekend.

But the impressions so far are very good. Tracks nicely and doesn't have any bad tendencies. Also, the elevator authority is surprisingly good, given that its elevator is a lot smaller than other planes in the 50" class.

Stay tuned for more flight reports and a full review!

SnowDog

I finally got a chance to maiden my Yak today (albeit in snow and freezing temperatures). The first flight was silly tail heavy, so it wasn't exactly enjoyable. I had to push my 3000mAh 4s almost all the way forward to make it balance. Once I had the CG right it was a very nice plane to fly. Unfortunately I damaged the canopy clasp during setup (completely my own fault) and ejected the canopy in a snaproll on the second flight. I found the canopy, but I didn't want to continue flying with a damaged clasp, so that put an end to my attempt at a flight review. Trying again this weekend.

But the impressions so far are very good. Tracks nicely and doesn't have any bad tendencies. Also, the elevator authority is surprisingly good, given that its elevator is a lot smaller than other planes in the 50" class.

Stay tuned for more flight reports and a full review!

Glad you got a chance to fly it at least! Tail heavy CGs do make for interesting maiden flights especially! ;) Just getting it down in one piece is a victory!