• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Os hyper 50 giving me a headache. Hope for some help.

doublea

100cc
I used to fly this heli with a hyper 50. Unfortunately I smoked the motor. Well since then the heli was sold cheap and new motor installed it comes full circle back into my hands. Well, I went ahead to fire the new motor up. It spooled up then quit. Happened a couple of times. Went online and found out the fuel mixture screw was to lean. Went back and richen it up. Well test flight again got it off the ground in the middle of the hover I began to slowly lose power. Brought the stick back down and the power came back. Battery power started to get low so I had to stop. After I cut it off I checked how hot the motor was an I am not kidding it was smoking so I richen the high end to two out. Haven't really had the chance to try again but that is where I am at. Oh and I still am seeing ALOT of smoke.

Any suggestions???

If you smoked the first motor, and the second motor is slowly losing power, it is an indication of overheating. You likely are running the motor way too lean. Once a motor has gotten too hot, you must allow it to cool down before you adjust and fly again. Make sure you are using helicopter fuel which has extra added oil to keep the motor protected in the hotter environment than airplanes run.

It would also be good to check the fan and the shroud to make certain they are in good shape, and tightly fitted to maximize airflow over the engine. A little more info on what kind of helicopter/type fuel/glow plug/head speed etc would help in assisting you to trouble shoot. The easy start though is to run it way too rich, and then SLOWLY lean it a bit at a time.

doublea

100cc
Racedrvr;13283 wrote: If you smoked the first motor, and the second motor is slowly losing power, it is an indication of overheating. You likely are running the motor way too lean. Once a motor has gotten too hot, you must allow it to cool down before you adjust and fly again. Make sure you are using helicopter fuel which has extra added oil to keep the motor protected in the hotter environment than airplanes run.

It would also be good to check the fan and the shroud to make certain they are in good shape, and tightly fitted to maximize airflow over the engine. A little more info on what kind of helicopter/type fuel/glow plug/head speed etc would help in assisting you to trouble shoot. The easy start though is to run it way too rich, and then SLOWLY lean it a bit at a time.

Thanks for the reply. To answer a few of the above ask questions. TREX600, os max sx 50, glow fuel, cool power 30%, os #8 plug. As for head speed it is not ridiculously high but being this is a scale body i am pretty sure i could bring the head speed back from where it is.

Also to answer the possibility of to lean i agree. But i tested it again today and while it was running i unscrewed the high end needle valve all the way out of the casing and it seemed not to change at all. It is like i am getting no response from the high end needle valve. Had another suggest trash in the needle valve( the whole valve not just the needle). Or i may have a hole in the fuel line sucking air.

That is where i am.

Clean the carb out, and then replumb the fuel system.

A little trick on setting the L needle is to hover it for 45 sec to 1 minute and land it, leaving the engine.run, and put a finger on the backplate. If you can hold your finger there for.longer than 5 sec without it burning, then you are too rich. Any shorter than 5 sec and it is extrememly.hot, too lean. I believe this is the.method that Curtis Youngblood used when tuning his nitro engines. H needle is by ear. Listen for bogging during hard collective inputs and look for smoke. No more than about 220F on the head, if I remember correctly........

doublea

100cc
Bunky F. Knuckle;13536 wrote: Clean the carb out, and then replumb the fuel system.

A little trick on setting the L needle is to hover it for 45 sec to 1 minute and land it, leaving the engine.run, and put a finger on the backplate. If you can hold your finger there for.longer than 5 sec without it burning, then you are too rich. Any shorter than 5 sec and it is extrememly.hot, too lean. I believe this is the.method that Curtis Youngblood used when tuning his nitro engines. H needle is by ear. Listen for bogging during hard collective inputs and look for smoke. No more than about 220F on the head, if I remember correctly........

Thanks, ill give it a shot.

doublea

100cc
Pulled complete casing out. Sprayed and aired out. Replumed all lines. Tried again still no answer to this problem.

If you are running muffler pressure, can you blow from the hose to the exhaust and pressurize the tank and force fuel through the carb with the needle out? Sounds like you still have a restriction in fuel flow somewhere.

No fuel filter anywhere that is restrictive?? Header tank? Low needle? It is a cam style needle, is it set to 12:00 (parallel with the venturi)? High needle out 1.5 turns? If you have a header tank, try bypassing it, process of elimination.

I had a brand new Hyper 50 in a Sceadu 50, years ago. It was a bear to break in. I forget what all we had to do to it. But once it broke in, it was on! It took close to 1 gallon of fuel to get it broken in. But if you can get it rich, leave it there and just let it break in.

HeliFreak and RunRyder are great wealths of info on the subject too.

I just thought of something..... Is the cylinder head tight?

doublea

100cc
the OS saga continues. Took the motor out of the helicopter put it on a test stand. Ran it on the bench it ran fine all the way to full throttle after running at full throttle for a while began to throttle down and engine quit. Showed signs of flooding but still did not make sense. moved needles 2 manufacturers specifications and same problem still showed. Still trying to figure out what may be causing problems. Engine was on bench so it has to be something in the carburetor or engine.