Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Optical Kill Switch as On/Off?

Discussion in 'Onboard Electronics' started by Bartman, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Bartman

Bartman Defender of the Noob!

Was ordering radio/receiver switches this morning and thought about using an optical kill switch AND an on/off switch for the ignition battery.

I'm thinking the second on/off isn't necessary since the optical kill switch is an on/off switch.

The wiring would need a 'y' just before the battery for charging but is anyone already doing this? Never thought about it, just did it a certain way and kept doing it that way each time.

Thanks!

HRRC Flyer likes this.
  2. acerc

acerc 640cc Uber Pimp

Florida
    The Techaero and RCEXCELL has to have a common ground, but, something like the Smart fly fiber optic kill does not. Just go with the Tech Aero and forget about it, I run them in all my planes and use to have the external switch as well but have even dropped them in the last couple years. Actually I have been leaving switches for the dual battery pin flag, much cleaner and simpler.

Snoopy1 and HRRC Flyer like this.
  3. HRRC Flyer

HRRC Flyer GSN Sponsor Tier 1

I use two switches with charging jacks on my H9-260 and I will on my Yak 55 as well. I don't have an optical kill switch on the 260 yet, but I am going to add one to the plane when I put one in the Yak. I am going to put the optical kill switch on a separate channel in both planes and activate them by the trainer switch on my 14MZ. I like the idea of physically turning off both batteries and just use the optical switch in "emergency" situations.

4. WMcNabb

WMcNabb 150cc

TN, USA
    For ignition, I’m using both a conventional on/off switch as well as a Tech Aero IBEC which is turned on and off from a knob on my transmitter. Running two batteries thru a Spektrum Powersafe receiver with yet a third switch, and no separate battery for ignition.

HRRC Flyer likes this.
  5. Bartman

I'm not that brave! Not ready to have the same batteries running the receivers, servos, and ignition! I'm a :dancing-chicken:

WMcNabb and acerc like this.

6. 49dimes

49dimes Damn I'm hungry

I have run the Smart-Fly, Tech Aero, Rcexel, and even my own I made. All with great success. I have found the simplest and easiest way
    keeping things light is running everything from the battery or batteries. Personally I like the Rcexel the best for economy and reliability.
    Any ignition noise problems I have ever had always stemmed through the plug caps or a broken ground to case in the ignition module itself. Never have I had an issue using just the battery or batteries to power everything. But to each their own.....Always do what you feel most comfortable with.

AKNick likes this.
  7. Bartman

4 cell NiMH for the ignition with the kill switch as the on/off switch and dual antique on/off switches for the batteries! To the workshop!

WMcNabb likes this.
  8. AKNick

AKNick 150cc

Alaska
    +1 for the Tech Aero Ultra IBEC. It has an optio isolator and redundant filters in place and saves a bunch of weight eliminating the need for an extra battery and switch thus eliminating that failure point.

49dimes and WMcNabb like this.
  9. Bartman

49dimes and WMcNabb like this.
  10. WMcNabb

WMcNabb 150cc

TN, USA
    Correct!

49dimes likes this.