• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Opinions please - Fixing Misaligned Manifold/Canister

Before I take this job on, I thought I'd just ask for opinions...

I have a bit of a problem between my canister and manifold. I'd like the canister to run straight down the fuselage due to its size (very tight fit), but this leaves an angled gap which you can see in photo.

Anyone got any suggestions as the best way to overcome this? So far I have:

1. Try to bend Teflon joiner whilst heated, but am concerned it will try to return to straight, stress the setup and lead to failure of a joint somewhere.

2. Cut the side of the pipe tunnel to allow pipe to sit at an angle.

3. Make a cut in one side of the manifold, bend and resolder to bring it more inline.

Opinions please....

Cheers!

IMG_20160123_082437.jpg

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Not much of an angle....I'd probably go with the Telfon coupler just making a small bend. Another option is to insert a large wooden dowel, or pipe into the canister fitting and put a slight bend, which will occur in the end of the can itself. Won't take much.

I'd still try the coupler alone before fiddling with a bend in the can or header.

BalsaDust

With that little amount I wouldn't worry about it. Just do as you said and heat the coupler before installing it.
Another option is to use a silicone coupler like when using a macs header and tuned pipe on a nitro motor. Not sure if the pressure is to great on a larger gas engine though.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
If you put the coupler on, heat it with a heat gun right at the bending point. Then over bend it just slightly to allow for some spring back......maybe have someone spray it with water while holding it bent to quickly cool it.
just an idea.