• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Omp 330sc.

Pics from the 5th flight. Vertical fin blew off in flight. Fluke thing. No other airplanes have had this happen, that I know of. Delam'd the gear and ripped off 1 counter balance. All back together now. Have close to 30 flights more on it since. I've ripped on the airplane alot, trying to make it blow off again. No luck. Ive let Colton Clark rip on it too. All good! ;)

6001=2287-20140308_104947.jpg
6001=2287-20140308_104947.jpg
6001=2300-20140308_142356.jpg
6001=2300-20140308_142356.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Houston, we have a glue problem!!! That's nuts, I've done some stuff to planes that should have turned them inside out and never seen that before!!!

Chalk it up to probably a Monday or Friday airplane.... Its all good! I still have it and it flys killer!! Chad even said that the airplane makes me look better than what I am. It is a natural groover!

And, there wasnt alot of glue on the mount either. It also looked like it wasnt sitting flat on the base plate too... I fixed that, laid in a gNg of 15 min epoxy, and taped the fin.in.place for 2 days! I checked my mixing cut after I let it dry, epoxy was rock solid.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well at least we know that in the event of another.....mmm, mishap, the fin ain't goin' nowhere.....:)

thepamster

70cc twin V2
I lost the verticle fin on a Fiesta 45 many years ago in flight. They don't seem to fly well without it. Lol. I was able to pancake it into the weeds with no additional damage.

The reason my fin came off though was because it was repaired once after an inverted low pass that was a little too low.:smile-new:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
thepamster;6242 wrote: I lost the verticle fin on a Fiesta 45 many years ago in flight. They don't seem to fly well without it. Lol. I was able to pancake it into the weeds with no additional damage.

The reason my fin came off though was because it was repaired once after an inverted low pass that was a little too low.:smile-new:

Well....since we are sharing horror stories of the air, here is my little contribution. Will try to make it short. LOL... Many years ago when I started flying, my most prized airplane was my Goldberg Sukhoi. I set it up with an OS Gemini 1.60 twin. Sounded sooo cool. It had enough power to fly it very scale. I "LOVED" that plane. I put over 400 incident free flights. on it. I (THOUGHT) I wanted something more after four years of flying it. Yeah....right. So, I sold it to a gentleman in Ohio. (Dumb, dumb, dumb) He absolutely loved the plane. Fast forward a few years back. I wanted another. So, yes...I got another before you couldn't find them. This time however I went with the Saito 1.80. LOL....Well, long story short....I could not keep the tail from exploding on it. Three times I blasted off with it. Three times it blew the tail loose or nearly off the darn thing. Each time I got it home safely. Don't know how.... Second to last time, once again after a repair... Lost the complete right side stab and elevator. Left side elevator servo striped out.... My son says, "Dad, what just blew off your plane?" Ok...a couple of scary moments and two passes later, she is back on the ground. Last repair? I went over board and beefed the heck out of everything. Hey, success..... Or so I thought. On final approach of her last and most greatest effort..... I....I....I stalled the damn thing on landing. No need to explain she would never fly again. LOL..... Oh the shame.... LOL.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok...memories.... here they are. Sukhoi number one with the Gemini 160 Twin. Sukhoi number two with the Saito 180. One lives....one does not. LOL

6248=2427-Goldberg Sukhoi.jpg
6248=2427-Goldberg Sukhoi.jpg
6248=2428-Sukhoi Gemini 160.jpg
6248=2428-Sukhoi Gemini 160.jpg