• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Old Hot Rod problems

I am going to my parents on Spring Break to pick up my dads 1970 Olds 442 W-30. It has sat outside and is in pretty bad shape. I am figuring on a pretty extensive restore. But I am very excited to get the car.

So my dad was looking it over in prep for the move, and I have a little problem... He can't get the hood open. It is the fiberglass hood. It unlatches, but the hinges appear to have locked up. So I am in a bad spot. No way to charge the battery, check fluids, ect. I am going up this weekend to see what I need to do before I trailer it home, but I didn't figure on being shut out!!!

I have searched the "net" but the most problems related to the hood centers around the latches. I am drawing up goose-eggs on how to get at the hinges to lubricate or anything to break them loose. I am also worried about putting to much pressure on the fiberglass hood.

So I am appealing to my friends here that may have any ideas or experience with this type of problem. Got any ideas?

2¢ worth of free advice!

Find another car enthusiast or modeler who is also an electrician or plumber and has and tool like the Klein Tools Borescope Model # ET510, it is a great at finding and seeing problem spots in hard-to-reach places. Use this tool's gooseneck camera to snake through from under the car to locate the hood hinges. Once you locate the hinges tape a length of Tygon or other fuel tubing to the tools gooseneck probe and give the hinges a dose of penetrating oil. Repeat as necessary until the hinges are free.

I have seen this type of tool used in industrial applications and in auto shops on several occasions and at least one person in the Texas Unlimited Fun Flyers club in Tyler, Texas uses one to inspect the interior of wings and other model structure for damage or other issues. You may wish to purchase on for your hangar /shop, they are great tools to have handy.

Remember, Ol' Bearly sez,
"A bad day at the flying field is better
than a good day on a golf course!"
and
"If it an't round its square,
FLY A YAK!"

Hope to see you at a flying field soon,
BNK

Great idea. I will see what I can find. That does sound like a handy tool to have around.

They are about 5 hours away but I am going up in the morning to see what we can do. I have wanted this car since I was about 7. So I am pretty excited even though it is in pretty rough shape.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I call it a mini camera but us plumbers regularly use sewer cameras in the 100-300' length. The mini camera has a flexible 3' rod with the camera at the end of it. It would be perfect for probing around an engine bay.

Well, I got up here and the hood is open. Had to have someone lift on the front and back corners at the same time. The old car is in really rough shape. Rats/mice chewed the plug wires. Not sure what else. The interior is a mess.

There is a ton of work to get it where I would even be able to drive it let alone want to. But, I have it so that is a start. Now just time and a LOT of cash!

I hope to find some from back when it was a beauty, but he is how she sits now...

20170305_144546.jpg 20170305_144720.jpg 20170305_142923.jpg 20170305_142946.jpg 20170305_143058.jpg 20170305_152222.jpg 20170305_144603.jpg 20170305_143148.jpg

Yes, that is a sawed off tree that had grown between the bumper and grill. Lots of work ahead, but I am looking forward to it. It has been my dream car since I was a little kid. For as long as I can remember.

Buddy5303

70cc twin V2
From what i see all the important stuff there. Will be beautiful when you get it all done. You don't see many 442 running around. Don't forget the loan to buy gas for it when it's all done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the good thing, everything is there. Some of it is damaged and will be replaced, but the rest is there. I am pretty stoked to get it. Another week then I will go hang with my family for a few days and try to get it running. I am going to trailer it to my place where I can get to work on it.