• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Idea! Model Aviation X PRIZE. Why isn't There One? Let's Make One

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
As you guys know, I am always looking at ways to promote model aviation. And here is something that may help.

I'm sure you have all heard of the X PRIZE, but if not, check this out; http://www.xprize.org/

Now, after reading that, why can't model aviation have an X PRIZE? Shouldn't we have something cool that we can strive for? There are so many things that may seem impossible right now, but with perseverance, research, and dedication nothing seems impossible.

Let's brainstorm some ideas on what could be a Model Aviation X Prize and then perhaps we can put the best ideas up for a vote.

I have a couple right off the top of my head.

1. Battery powered airplane flown across the USA. It's never been done before. Been tried recently by our friend and Trent, but sadly, he didn't make it. We were sure hoping and praying for his success, weren't we? On the surface it sounds so simple, but in reality, as the TAT2014 project showed us, it was not a simple undertaking at all. And even with all the resources from our model aviation enthusiasts across the USA, we couldn't pull it off. So there are just two recent attemtps that were not successful

2. An electric-powered model to exceed Mach 1 after self-powered ROG (not dropped, not bungeed)

What are your ideas for the model aviation X PRIZE? I know you guys will have a ton of ideas of things that seem impossible right now, but may in fact be possible. I will update this post with your ideas as they are posted. Now, Let's hear those ideas!

This should be a fun thread and thanks for the inputs. I do ask that rather shooting down other people's ideas, let's just focus on your ideas and explain why they would be something that would make for a good model aviation X prize candidate. If we get enough ideas, we can always make a poll and vote for our favorites. :cool:

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
If we can come up with some great suggestions I am not against trying to get the X PRIZE sponsored. After all, if it promotes model aviation, I'm all for it. Then we could probably even get some monies for anyone that reaches the goal (whatever it turns out to be).

I think this would a great way to help promote safe and responsible model aviation, especially in the light of today's FAA events. If the public sees that we can perform such awesome things with enough research and dedication, just imagine what this could do for model aviation. Look at all the colleges performing some kind of automated flights and heavy lifting contests, etc. Imagine if there was some kind of X PRIZE associated with this?

Frank

Last edited by a moderator: