• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

matching brushless servos

I recently switched out some JR 8911 servos from my elevators and rudder on my IMAC plane for this year. I switched them out for JR MPH83T servos. The first thing I noticed is they are almost dead silent. You cannot even tell if they are binding. That brings up another issue with matching them with an amp meter. They draw very little current at idle and when stalled. Only when they move do they draw a higher amperage. So I figure I would start a discussion on how I set up these servos on a single surface.

I first found center and end points mechanically. Measured throw as precisely as possible. Once I have that set I unhooked that servos linkage and repeated the process. Once I got it as close as I can I loose fit the ball link in the horn and matched the hole for center. Then I did the same for end points. If the mechanical geometry is good most of the travel will be very very close. Since I us a JR radio I have the option for matching mid travel. So any spots that were not exactly perfect I was able to match. These new servos are a slight learning curve but believe that are worth it.

SleepyC

150cc
Sounds pretty nice! As consumers we are in a great period currently, awesome tech coming out almost weekly!

Mikeq

150cc
Interesting to see how much servos have evolved in the short time I've been in the hobby. The use of magnetic hall sensors instead of potentiometers and a micro computer that auto adjusts the incoming voltage regardless of what your battery set up is...slow start up instead of slamming to neutral is another plus IMO. I like my JR 8711s which are about 400 ounces of torque also but they can and do over time develop slop...sounds like these MPH 83Ts will never wear out or will out last any conventional servos...to me that will justify the 70 dollar difference in price. http://www.jramericas.com/233990/JRPSMPH83T2/?pcat=296 thanks for posting James..didn't know these servos existed..

I am glad you posted this! I have the sister servo, JR MP 82T, and it is also very very quiet. Now, with over 100 flights. Just recently, i have noticed, on power up, the elevator servos were noisy and twitching. If i powered down, then repowered up, the problem went away.

This happens almost every time now, for the past 5 power-ups.

Anyone know what this could be?
Servo or radio system.