• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Make a Custom Header for your Gas Engine

JimD

50cc
When we first got into giant scale aero towing, our tow plane of choice was the 3.3M Pilatus Porter from TopModel. With a DA-85 up front, we were able to tow sailplanes up to and including the Bill Hempel 7.5M half-scale KA-6. The only problem was that the DA-85 had a loud growl that was rather out of place amid all of those beautifully quiet sailplanes!

Seemed that adding a canister muffler was in order, but the Porter did not come with a canister tunnel or any provision for adding a canister. An external canister mount was possible, but no stock header was available to make the connection.

Even though there is not a lot of information about this on their website, Desert Aircraft has everything you need to make a custom header. They have the stub that attaches to the engine and various pieces of pipe, both straight and curved, that complete the header from the stub to the canister. They also sell sticks of Fontargen 320 silver solder needed to weld the parts together.

It is not all that difficult! A simple Bernz-O-matic torch will provide plenty of heat. (BTW, the torch show does not need the scratcher to light, it has a self lighting feature) The way this works is the engine and canister are mounted to the plane and the header parts are cut to length and assembled dry. We used a Dremel tool with a carbide cutoff wheel to cut the pipe. With everything assembled dry, alignment marks were made with a Sharpie marker.

Starting with the exhaust stub and first piece of pipe, the joint is heated with the torch, the stick of silver solder is then gently wiped over the joint so the hard coating of the sliver solder stick (which is a type of flux) melts into the joint area. Then using more heat, the solid silver solder core is melted into the joint and should flow into the joint just like soldering copper plumbing pipes together.

The joint will be a black and nasty looking mess! Not to worry...I will explain in a moment. Keep going until all parts are assembled. If you have marked each joint with your Sharpie, simply clamp the parts being solder together using the marks to get proper orientation of each piece. We like to have the joint facing upward so the solder can flow nicely around the joint.

When the soldering is all done, and the parts cooled enough to handle, use either an S.O.S. or Brillo steel wool soap pad to clean the nasty black stuff off of the pipe. We hold the parts under a stream of warm water, wrap the pad around the joint and twist the pipe to scrub. Amazingly, the pipe will clean up and shine!

We did a pair of planes using this process and the external canister was not a problem. Much quieter than the stock mufflers!

Here is a photo essay of one of our projects:

101.JPG 102.JPG 103.JPG 104.JPG 105.JPG 106.JPG 107.JPG 108.JPG

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Looks really nice and does not appear to be difficult to do.

How much flight time on the headers and are the joints holding up to the engine vibration?

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Cool post Jim. I have been thinking of trying this for some time, even playing with the idea of making canisters as well. I had looked at Dura Fix which welds aluminum together real nice. I was not aware DA sold the header components.

JimD

50cc
Capt...the joints have held up well over 40 some hours of flight time. We found that supporting the canister at two locations was the key. Another thing we discovered is from full-scale protocol...after towing a large sailplane to altitude, the header pipe is very hot, so don't immediately cut the throttle to idle and dive back to land. Keep about 40% throttle and descend to traffic pattern altitude and then throttle on down as needed to land. Rapid cooling will crack the header pipe! (We learned this after the third time it happened)

Ohio...the header pipes are stainless steel. The method does not work for aluminum. If you go to the Desert Aircraft site and click on KS Exhaust, it will take you to the KS site. Click of the British flag symbol at the top for English. DA can get you anything on this site and mostly have it all in stock. DA is amazing, just wish they had a better website so people could know about just how much stuff they have! Here is a link to the KS pipe info (BTW, I got to it from the link on the DA site)

https://www.krumscheid-metallwaren.de/neu/shop.php?lang=EN

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Good info. I believe they also offer sections of flex joint for those who wish to use it. It can help absorb vibrations and reduce cracking.

Good info. I believe they also offer sections of flex joint for those who wish to use it. It can help absorb vibrations and reduce cracking.

Interesting, in my ignorance, I thought that the flex pipes themselves were prone to cracking.

But upon rereading your post, do you mean the silicone tubing or the metal flex tubing?

BJ Swope

JimD

50cc
Guys, the cracks were in the pipe its self...not the joint! I may have a picture, let me look...

What we did with the canister mount was to make rubber mounts that helped dissipate the vibration. Our header pipe was a solid piece, no flex section. On an earlier version, we only had one mount on the canister and used a flex section in the header pipe. The engine vibrations caused these headers to fail at the flex joint.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Interesting, in my ignorance, I thought that the flex pipes themselves were prone to cracking.
But upon rereading your post, do you mean the silicone tubing or the metal flex tubing?
BJ Swope
I was referring to the metal flex stuff like MTW or KS use.
Guys, the cracks were in the pipe its self...not the joint! I may have a picture, let me look...

What we did with the canister mount was to make rubber mounts that helped dissipate the vibration. Our header pipe was a solid piece, no flex section. On an earlier version, we only had one mount on the canister and used a flex section in the header pipe. The engine vibrations caused these headers to fail at the flex joint.
Interesting....I would've never thought the flex would break.

JimD

50cc
The flex section is designed to flex (to correct for slight misalignment issues) but not to continuously flex (as in vibration absorption). The large canister we used with the DA-85 could move around a lot with its single central mount and this allowed the flex section of the header pipe to be to other area where movement could occurs. Only took a few hours of flight time before the flex pipe failed. Once we changed to two mounts on the canister, things improved.

We used a section of all thread and rubber auto fuel tubing to make vibration damping attachments for the canister mounts to the underside of the fuselage. This mounting combined with the solid header pipe has worked very trouble free for many hours of operation. Here is a picture that more or less shows the mounts, header pipe, and silicone coupler.

Z990001_zps2e4bcdee.JPG