• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

LiFe questions

Yes you can run direct, run whatever capacity you need and try TaildraggerRC. As far as your charger goes as long as it can be set to 3.3v per cell you should be fine.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes you will need a charger with a LiFe or A123 setting. I also highly recommend the @Taildraggerrc packs as well as hangtimes.com, or electrodynam.com. I use cellpro chargers or the chargers that taildragger offers. The Cellpro's multi4 are no brainers, and are cheap enough to buy two for the price of most single chargers.

Just remember you cant run down the LiFe like you can your old batteries (I assume you are upgrading from Nimh from your description). You want to run them down to 50% or so max. Running dual taildragger packs in a 30% plane you can easily get 5 flights and depending on how you fly 6 or 7 seven flights. Re-charge and make sure it put no more than about 1300 mah back in and you will be safe.

As an example, I put 6 easy 12 minute flights on my PAU sukhoi (DLE61 / Hitec 7955's / IBEC) mostly scale and harrier flying and I put 1350 back in each pack. On my Wifes hempel cub I can get 7 flights with the same packs and put back in around the same mah.

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
Listen to Terry. You need a charger for LiFe/A123

Also, get real A123 cells from Wrongway or Tail Dragger

I run one 2500 A123 in a 60CC Corvus that feeds 6x Savox digitals plus the ignition, I burn about 350 mah per flight. You have some wiggle room under 50% but its best not to push your luck as the voltage drops fast at the end. That said, they charge so fast, number of flights isn't a big issue.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
You are starting with 2600 Mah packs I'm guessing? And that puts you about 450 Mah or so per flight?

No, you can expect to use about 180-225 per pack per 12 minute flight depending on how you fly. I would recommend not running a single pack but some people do, in which case you can expect to be in that 350-450 per flight range which will make you have a three flight max. Good part is with LiFe you can charge them at 2 amps and you'll be charged in 30 minutes or less. Carry an extra set of batteries to swap out and fly non-stop all day if you want.

You can charge them much higher than 2 amps but I find I get the most accurate charging between 2-3 amps after doing some quick charge / cycle tests.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I was using the total estimate per flight.
Are you using redundant switches as well? I have a heavy duty Futaba switch installed, never had a problem with them, so didn't see a need to change.
Taildragger has a combo pack, 2 2500 packs with charger, so I'll probably go with that.

Normal switches are just fine. I run dual taildragger switches on my two 50cc planes that dont have power safe RX's.