• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Let's hear from the new crew!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Who here is getting started in Giant Scale RC?  What are you building?  What are you looking at?  Let's hear what you're up to......

I am about to start building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon that I have had for a while.  I bought it just before I took a break from RC.  Now that I am getting back to it, I want to make that jump into Giant Scale.  I have an engine for the Decathlon but I don't know about it.  I bought it at the same time I bought the plane.  It is a US Engine 32 cc.  I am not sure what I am going to get into with it as it appears that they don't exist anymore.  That may be a thread for later...

I am looking forward to getting my feet wet with the Decathlon and then adding to the hangar!

Alky6

150cc
Going to reduce the throws on my EF 78 Extra to set up for IMAC.

Soon to start a build on a Mojo65 with a VVRC 20cc to 3D on.

Smaller stuff, recently finished a Mojo25 - a ton of fun!

-Paul

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I figured there were some lurkers working the shadows around here.  lol

@ProfilePilot; i almost built the DynaFlite Super D, it was that or a 1/4 scale Sig Clipped Wing Cub as my first giant.  I always wanted to do the Cub so that's what I built but Super D's are always fun and when you can do all the tricks with a Super D you can do them with anything.

@Extrajohn; you happen to be sharing web space with two big Cap 232 fans.  Steve and I both have Carden 40% Cap 232's.  I just bought mine recently and it's only partially built but Steve's been flying his for a while.  Which one is it that you have?

@Alky6; good luck with getting started in IMAC, let us know how you do with it.  profiles are fun too, i'm just rebuilding a TM Pro 45 Extra and hoping to re-maiden it this week.  bought it used and ripped the gear off after two flights on a windy day.

Who else?  lots of new names passing through my email as the registrations are completed.  projects?  plans?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
the 73" white with bluish green stripes and stuff?  I surfed the classifieds for years for one of those and then gave up since they've become scarce and I could never seem to find one close to me.  so i bought a Lanier 81" Cap 232 kit and figured I'd never get around to building it and I was downsizing what I was flying so I sold it.  there's actually another kit that is for sale not too far from me so I've thought about buying it to have for when everything else is done.  73" is a great size though, that plane does great with a 26cc like a Zenoah but can take 30cc too no problem.  the 81" is more like a 40cc plane but people put 50's on them which i think is a little overkill.

there are a ton of 50cc planes hanging in garages and basements, you could save a few bucks by asking around at the local field of here online.  for starting out with IMAC you don't have to have the newest, lightest airframe possible.  anything in the 86 to 92" wingspan range that weighs less than about 22 lbs will do well with 50-55 cc engines.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
no insults here.  i'll be curious to see how your Cap does on 20cc.  i had a Lanier 1/4 scale Extra with a Zenoah G23 that flew fine but was a little under scale in terms of performance.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
those are great flying airplanes!  in the box, i'm drooling now.  the one i had was garbage-can eligible and for the heck of it i started pulling it apart and before i knew it i was rebuilding it and flying it. 

what 20cc engine is that?  no doubt the G23's aren't exactly maximizing power for the weight, they're reliable as hell but not very muscular.

i love the old Lanier planes, there's a Cap232 about an hour from me still in the box for $130 and a 98" Laser out in Pittsburgh but he's asking $400 which is too much for my budget at the moment with all of the stuff going on at the site at the moment.

BalsaDust

laser.jpg

laser2.jpg

smith-miniplane1-1.jpg

smith-miniplane2-1.jpg

I found these two at a ladys house who is trying to sell all of her husbands stuff after he passed. I was really interested in the Laser until I saw all the plastic that was in it. plan on making an offer on the miniplane though and a NIB OS 48 Surpass that she has. If anything I really want the plane.