• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Lesson #1 from Bart, OPP

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Other People's Problems

After a long hiatus from fueled fixed wing aircraft I finally made it to the field today with what I figured was a solid airplane and perfect weather.

Flight number one was ok, the engine (a new Zenoah G-26) was a little rich but I got back on the ground with a nice landing after about five minutes.

Refuled, talked smack with my flying buddy @Cub Man (aka Bill, aka Billy, aka Special K, aka The BK Broiler) and started up for another flight.

Another club member, a really good guy named Dave with a collection of slabs in the back of his stationwagon, took off and was in the air for a minute or so before I took off.

A few minutes later it happened.......

Dave called out that he had no elevator, naturally I looked up to watch as the plane rolled and dove behind some trees. As I went to look for my airplane which was still flying Dave yelled out if anyone saw where it went and I looked over towards the trees and commented where I thought it went........by the time I looked back at my airplane it was out of control and I had lost situational awareness unable to recover before it spun and crashed.

I basically let Dave's problem distract me to such a degree that I lost control of my plane.

The moral of the story, told for over 100 years by airmen of all nationalities, FLY THE AIRPLANE!!

IMG_0131.JPG

I bought this airplane, a Lanier 73" Edge 540 ARF from a friend that I sold it to a couple of years earlier but when he never flew it I figured it would be a good airframe for getting back into giant scale. I learned a big lesson today about focusing on the airplane you're flying and unless someone yells "Hit the deck!" in your direction YOU SHOULD ALWAYS KEEP YOUR EYES ON YOUR AIRPLANE! It's a lesson I somehow forgot after four and a half years of almost exclusively flying multi-rotor helicopters which usually have the benefit of assistance from the flight control system so you can manage other tasks such as monitoring a camera feed.

So my low-cost Giant Scale project is no more. A new low-cost giant scale project will begin tonight when I go pick up a Hangar 9 27% Cap 232 that Bill has in his attic. The engine and electronics from the Edge will live on in the Cap that Bill offered to give me, probably out of sympathy but also probably because I sold him my awesome 2M Chip Hyde Hyde-Out so cheap that I've been tempted to break in to his house and steal it back!

I learned something today and luckily didn't lose very much other than an airworthy but inexpensive airframe. It won't happen to me again and I hope that by posting this it won't happen to you either!

Bart

Last edited:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
The last couple of years I seem to do most of my flying at events where you have a spotter, lately if I am flying at my field and there are more than 2-3 planes in the air I feel a bit naked without a spotter. It's always nice to have someone standing by you (and not distracting you) to give you feedback.

Sorry for your loss, that bites.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
lesson number 2, of course, i'm a dumb ass :dancing-poop:
We've all been there Bart.....and I probably will again at some point in the future. 2nd flight of my first giant (30%) I flew right thru the low sun, lost it and totaled the damn thing...DUH!

sweetpea

100cc
Been there almost....when I dropped my parachute from the Cub. Easy to watch the parachute and not the plane!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Been there almost....when I dropped my parachute from the Cub. Easy to watch the parachute and not the plane!
That used to claim at least one airplane every year in the bomb drop at the funflys at my old club. Watching the bomb instead of the plane and flying it right into the ground.