• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

JR XG11 Programming

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well, my new JR XG11 arrived today and after a couple of hours wrapping presents, I needed a little break. I decided to pull the radio out of the box and start getting acquainted with it. Holy crap...I was not expecting this. My Hitec A9X is so easy to navigate and program, I think a child could do it. This JR on the other hand requires a whole new understanding to programming. UGH.... Help someone...anyone...please. Basically I would like some assistance in navigating through the menu. The manual that comes with it is very well written, however really not concise on exact "walk through" instructions.
1) Upon turning on the transmitter, I notice that there is already one model programmed. I believe from the factory testing. It is a heli. I would like to erase this and start fresh. How do I do it?
2) I was able to stumble (literally) through the menu and discovered how to add a model. But that is as far as I have gotten. I have named it for my brand new plane that should be here in a week or so. PAU 300SP. Is there a way to move this to model 1 after the heli is erased? Or will it just automatically jump up one model as my Hitec does?
3) I believe I have the correct wing and stab selected for what I am using, however going through the menu I see many options for multiple servos arrangements. Such as putting Aileron servos on 5 and 2, 6 and 2, 7 and 2 etc. etc. Since I use Smart Fly boards, I typically put the left side of my aircraft on different channels from the right side. I.E., Left ailerons on a channel, right ailerons on a separate channel. Left elevators on a channel and the right elevator on yet a different channel. Just not really sure how to go about doing this.
4) Is there some way to teach an old dog new tricks when it comes to remembering just where to go to navigate the system? I am sure as time goes by, I will become more accustomed to the radio, however at this point I really want to glue some wings on it and toss it from a cliff to see how far the radio can fly itself.

Please someone that is much smarter than I, help me out?
Thanks....

ryan_m

100cc
I'm trying to do this from memory... so bear with me a bit here :)

1) You cannot delete the model you are on. So select the new model you created, and press the top "E" button to get to the main screen. Now go back to the model select, and you can go to the model copy/erase . Select Erase at the very top as it shows on page 72 of the manual. And press the F button at the bottom. It should erase the Heli model you want gone.
Now if you want to move a model to a different slot you can use the copy function and copy it to the other slot. Please note that this will require a re-bind of your rx. The rx's are bound to a slot, and so if you copy to a different slot you will have to rebind it.

2) covered above

3) By default the right aileron is ch. 2, typically left aileron is ch. 6, but you can put it other places if you want. Right elevator is ch. 3, can't recall where the default for left is. The monitor screen shows you though, will be labeled "LELE". You can change these, using the MATE area in the wing type to be whatever you like though. The mated channel is where you will plug in the secondary aileron, or elevator. So your smart fly board should be easy, just put the left side on one of them, and the right side on the mated channel.

4) I came from a JR 9303 and 9503 that were somewhat similar to this radio in programming, in certain ways the XG11 is easier, in others it's harder. But most recently I used a DX9, and those are so simple that every other manufacturer (except maybe hitec) should really look at how those are setup and take some notes! I agree the XG11 by modern radio standards is somewhat difficult to program. One thing they did finally do right on the XG11 is the switch selection. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to assign switches to channels. In the Device Select menu, pick the channel you want, use the roller to select the "Device" column for that channel, and then flip whatever switch you want that assigned to.

Couple last tips...

The throttle activated timer is tricky. You have to go and create a software switch first, assigned to the throttle stick. And get it to where it's turning on and off at the points you like. For me I like it to turn on above about 60% throttle. That way I can start a motor and have it idle without my timer starting. Anyways, then go and assign the timer to start via that software switch.

Take model slot 30 and call it "Template". Setup every setting that you normally have on each plane the way you like it. For example, configure dual aileron servos, configure your basic rates and expo on the switch(es) that you like. Setup the timer to activate via the throttle stick if you like. Set the timer to 10 minutes perhaps. Setup rx alarm voltage. Zero out all subtrims and trims, and set servo travel all back to 100%. Throttle hold/engine kill on the switch you like. All the stuff you do that's common to each plane basically. Then whenever you want to setup a new model, go and copy this "template" model to the slot you want to use, and rename it. Saves you a ton of time in your setup.

If you are interested I can send you my "template" model and you will have much of that stuff setup, including the software switch for timer activation. That one took me about 20 minutes of goofing around to make work right. PM me your email address if you want that, I'll email the file to you and you can import it via the SD card. The first plane I setup on my XG11 was an EF 88" Edge, and it took me about 2 hours to do. On a DX9 I could have done it in 10 minutes. Now that I have my template I can do it in about 10 minutes too, but that first one was a doozy.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Highly recommend template files in the JR! I have one for 50cc and one for 120cc with all switches, timer, rates and most common mixes all set up and ready to go. To start a new plane, copy the template and start setting up plane.

Well, my new JR XG11 arrived today and after a couple of hours wrapping presents, I needed a little break. I decided to pull the radio out of the box and start getting acquainted with it. Holy crap...I was not expecting this. My Hitec A9X is so easy to navigate and program, I think a child could do it. This JR on the other hand requires a whole new understanding to programming. UGH.... Help someone...anyone...please. Basically I would like some assistance in navigating through the menu. The manual that comes with it is very well written, however really not concise on exact "walk through" instructions.
1) Upon turning on the transmitter, I notice that there is already one model programmed. I believe from the factory testing. It is a heli. I would like to erase this and start fresh. How do I do it?
2) I was able to stumble (literally) through the menu and discovered how to add a model. But that is as far as I have gotten. I have named it for my brand new plane that should be here in a week or so. PAU 300SP. Is there a way to move this to model 1 after the heli is erased? Or will it just automatically jump up one model as my Hitec does?
3) I believe I have the correct wing and stab selected for what I am using, however going through the menu I see many options for multiple servos arrangements. Such as putting Aileron servos on 5 and 2, 6 and 2, 7 and 2 etc. etc. Since I use Smart Fly boards, I typically put the left side of my aircraft on different channels from the right side. I.E., Left ailerons on a channel, right ailerons on a separate channel. Left elevators on a channel and the right elevator on yet a different channel. Just not really sure how to go about doing this.
4) Is there some way to teach an old dog new tricks when it comes to remembering just where to go to navigate the system? I am sure as time goes by, I will become more accustomed to the radio, however at this point I really want to glue some wings on it and toss it from a cliff to see how far the radio can fly itself.

Please someone that is much smarter than I, help me out?
Thanks....

Your transmitter programs very much like the JR 11x DSMX. I think some the PDF file I posted will help you with the basics. I put this together using posts I read about the 11x on various RC sites.

Learn how to set up a MY LIST. That will put together all the different functions you use in setting up a plane on one screen.

Attachments

• 11X Basic Set 12-12-2013 Final.pdf
    363.8 KB · Views: 1,079

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Your transmitter programs very much like the JR 11x DSMX. I think some the PDF file I posted will help you with the basics. I put this together using posts I read about the 11x on various RC sites.

Learn how to set up a MY LIST. That will put together all the different functions you use in setting up a plane on one screen.
Hey, very cool.... I appreciate that. I have never owned JR until just now. So really lost. My Hitec is so simplified to program. Guess I just got used to it. I am sure I will figure this out and once I do, it will be just as easy.

Hey, very cool.... I appreciate that. I have never owned JR until just now. So really lost. My Hitec is so simplified to program. Guess I just got used to it. I am sure I will figure this out and once I do, it will be just as easy.

That Flaperon warning does not apply to your transmitter. I liked using Normal in the wing select anyway.