• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

JR XG11 and RG1131B Receiver

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey everyone, I am very unfamiliar with the JR radio systems as this will be my first JR setup ever. The menu and commands in the transmitter are a little confusing compared to my Hitec Aurora 9x, but I am sure I will figure it all out. Probably for most or any of you JR owners, it is actually quite easy. Offer some advise or input anytime you like. I could use it.

My questions at this time however pertains to the RG1131B receiver. The satellite attached to the receiver is an antenna/telemetry satellite as I understand it. I really do not know much about it or the system so please help if you can.

Questions:
1) Where is the best placement for the satellite? Away from the main dual boda antennas?
2) Is it possible or is it suggested to get a longer extension for the satellite? What length would be optimal? Where is the best place to order a longer extension?
3) Where is the best placement of the two, (dual boda) antennas? Typically I have been told most all manufacturers recommend 90 degree angles on the antennas.
4) Am I correct with my understanding the satellite is an "antenna/telemetry satellite?

Any info./input/suggestions/hints on binding, setup and tweaking any of you can offer would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.....
RG1131B.jpg

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
The antennas, all of them the boda and the sat, should be in 90 degrees from each other.
Being said, one to the right, one to the left and one should be up or down.
If you're flying a balsa plane there is no need to expose the antennas out from the fuse but, if it's composite with allot of carbon block outs you should consider expose them from the fuse.
The JR protocol is DMSS so it's a bullet proof system not like the old DSM2 so, you don't need to connect an extent ion to the telemetry antenna.

I use the antennas like this; the boda one is up one is to the right the telemetry I I stuck with Velcro to the side of the fuselage.

Great system have fun with it.

I try to position the antennas as far away from each other and in different directions, AKA antenna pointed up or down and the other pointed left/right/forward/backward. Here is a pic of my install. I made a bracket to keep one antenna pointed up and the other is pointed forward and it is mounted on the fuse. The telemetry module is also mounted on the fuse. You can buy extended remote ribbon wire if you want to mount it somewhere else.
20150104_182109.jpg

ryan_m

100cc
The second antenna (ra-01t) is just telemetry. Put it anywhere. No need for a longer extension on it. I wouldn't put it near carbon fiber stuff or you will decrease the range of the telemetry stuff it has. I've had better luck with the ra-01 and ra-01tl ones than the ra-01t. The T doesn't seem to give as good of range as the other two that have an antenna wire on them. But as it's just telemetry, it's no big deal. I occasionally hear the radio start to give the low voltage alarm I have setup as it will sometimes lose the telemetry signal on the one plane I have with the ra-01t. (A 3dhs 70" Velox).
My other planes have the TL and it's been flawless.
As far as the two main antennas, yes I agree JR should give a bit more guidance on proper placement of the antennas. The advice given above is what I follow on them, orient them different from each other. Avoid carbon fiber and running parallel and near to it (wing tubes, stringers that are reinforced, etc) and you won't have any problems.

Rob, the telemetry unit can be placed anywhere you want to put it. As others stated, it is just telemetry. There is no Rx capability there.

Set the main Rx antennae 90* to another. All good! :)

All my 35 and 40'centers have the PowerSafe Rx's installed. So, I do have to take a little care in how I route things, as the main body of the Rx, is just a power board. The 3 remotes are just that, much like the DSM2/X JR/Spektrum protocol.

If you got any questions, just call me. :)

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Are you sure there is no Rx capability from the telemetry antenna ?
I thought there is.

I see that Ryan is using the Xbus method, what do you think, despite the fact that you're using double RX. Is it worth the investment or would you keep working with a power bus like Smart Fly ?
Where do you see the obvious advantages over different methods like two simple RX, or power bus like smartfly ?

Thanks
Adi

I was mistaken. I took this pic at EFest over the weekend. The remote in question does infact have an antenna inside.

Attachments

• 20150124_162119.jpg
    20150124_162119.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 351