• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

JR DMSS Temp Sensor

If you want to know the real temp of your setup, get one of these. www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto/temperature/722-et1
I have tried everything I could find to monitor engine temps and this the most consistent way I have found. If you
get one let me know what you find. You will be surprised!
What kind of differences are you seeing when mounted on the plug. Referencing Ryans post of 340f at the same place I monitor my temps appears to be at the upper and dangerous limits of the engine and oil.

Flyncaps

New to GSN!
What kind of differences are you seeing when mounted on the plug. Referencing Ryans post of 340f at the same place I monitor my temps appears to be at the upper and dangerous limits of the engine and oil.

In this picture you can see the under the spark plug sensor and the hole (in the red circle) for the JR DMSS sensor. What I found was the temp
at the spark plug is about 50 degrees hotter than the one in the red circle at 300 F. It seems 350 F is about normal and the engine runs great.
I got a friend with a 120 running a sensor under the plug that sees 380 to 415 peaks and his is running great. These are peak temps not average
running temps. I tried flying circles at about half throttle just to see what the temp. would be, stayed at about 260- 280.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 452
well hopefully I get one soon and compare to where I place my sensor and under the plug. I have talked to some of the guys at DA a few times on this and based on where my sensor is at and peak temps I am where I should be on the high side. They did tell me about temps at the plug but I do not remember what it was. It is hard to tell what engine you have there but engines like the 120 and 170 run hotter because of the smaller cooling fin area. 100's and 150's do run cooler. My 150 does run cooler than my 170. Both on tuned pipes and 93 octane fuel.

Flyncaps

New to GSN!
well hopefully I get one soon and compare to where I place my sensor and under the plug. I have talked to some of the guys at DA a few times on this and based on where my sensor is at and peak temps I am where I should be on the high side. They did tell me about temps at the plug but I do not remember what it was. It is hard to tell what engine you have there but engines like the 120 and 170 run hotter because of the smaller cooling fin area. 100's and 150's do run cooler. My 150 does run cooler than my 170. Both on tuned pipes and 93 octane fuel.

The brand of the engine has nothing to do with how well we cool them in flight. I purposefully did not mention brands. The more power an engine makes the more heat you have to deal with. I have six different brands of engines, 80 to 170cc. They all like to be treated to proper baffling and tuning. I never got an answer on temps from the one you mentioned either. Just been doing my own homework. The 340 F you talked about earlier is nothing worry about as long as it's not 450 -500 somewhere else on the engine. The sensor location is the key! Good luck.

I agree brand has nothing to do with it but the design of the engine does affect how it cools. I mentioned the 120 and 170 because it does have less cooling surface compared to other so proper baffling is a must. I think we will continue to disagree on the 340F being very warm based on my sensor location and speaking with some of the guys at DA and some other well known 2 stroke engine guys on these types of forums. I am able to keep my engine temps well below that level due to baffling.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Hi guys

Having some trouble with mine.
It was great for a few flights and than it start reading odd temp like 303 C which is the same when the engine is working or not.
It's always that temp +303.

The blue LED is flashing so there is com between the RX and the TX.

So, what are the options ?
Have you came across with that kind of mailfunction ?