• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

JR 8711 with melted plug

I was getting started on my new plane today by installing the rudder servo. It's a 8711. this servo had been in my old plane for 8 years. when i striped the old plane I didn't take a good look at the stuff, just put it in a box.

Today I looked at the servo plug and saw it had melted, the pins were exposed and the wires at the plug were so stiff that if you bent them the insulation broke.

I do have some new short extensions that I can replace the old one. This is a good example of why you need to use new extensions on new planes. I used to reuse things over and over. I guess the two plugs got worn and it caused a lot of heat.

I was flying on borrowed time. Wish I had a camera that would get a good picture of the connector.

Now I have to do some soldering. Dennis

Most it I'm sure is age. The extensions were old and had been in several planes. My self and several others on another forum did a power study on GS planes and this is what got me to make big changes in the way i do things now. I completely changed over my new plane, but didn't do the old one because I knew I was getting new plane.
If you don't mind I can post a link. Some forums don't mind and some do. Let me know. For example a 100cc plane at idle on the runway was drawing 2.5amps just holding the flight surfaces in place. On another a 100cc plane doing hard 3-d for 10min. peaked at 9amps. Dennis

gyro

GSN Contributor
Most it I'm sure is age. The extensions were old and had been in several planes. My self and several others on another forum did a power study on GS planes and this is what got me to make big changes in the way i do things now. I completely changed over my new plane, but didn't do the old one because I knew I was getting new plane.
If you don't mind I can post a link. Some forums don't mind and some do. Let me know. For example a 100cc plane at idle on the runway was drawing 2.5amps just holding the flight surfaces in place. On another a 100cc plane doing hard 3-d for 10min. peaked at 9amps. Dennis

We'd love to have the data here, especially in our Wiki at some point, and it sounds like you are the owner of the content, so you can repost it anywhere. However if that isn't worth the trouble, or just not practical, a link will do. :)