Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Ignition straight into powerbox?

Discussion in 'Batteries / Chargers / Power Supplies' started by Alpha20, May 22, 2016.

1. Alpha20

Alpha20 50cc

So, I am refurbishing my CARF Extra 330L 100cc - old plane, new setup. My plan is to have 2 x LIFE 3000 mah into a Powebox Evolution. I am planning to power the ignition straight from the Powerbox. Is this OK, or a no-go??

2. Probably a no go without a IBEC of some sort. The Tech Aero IBEC seems to be one of the better regarded brands, there are others out there also.

3. Alpha20

Alpha20 50cc

Never fly without. Have a few, bot smart-fly and RCXL. Main concern was if the ignition could cause damage to the powerbox, but after reading this and the other site I'll give it a go

4. Bartman

Bartman Defender of the Noob!

how old is the ignition? if it's very old and therefore probably more likely to emit rf noise it still might not be such a great idea. newer ignitions with newer receivers don't seem to have the same problems anymore.

5. I've run the Tech Aero IBEC into both the Powerbox Cockpit, and Smart fly EQ6 without issues. Also ran the smartfly opti kills, but changed to the IBEC when I converted my planes to HV, and wanted to get rid of my NiCad battery packs.

Rusty 73, Alpha20 and Bartman like this.

6. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

If you would, post some pics of the Carf. I was just flying my 11 year old 90" Carf 330L today. It still flies great! I also flew a brand new Carf 330SC with a DA120 today, it was a sweet flying airplane.:)

Rusty 73 and Alpha20 like this.
  7. Alpha20

Alpha20 50cc

3 year old DA-100. Should be good?

8. Alpha20

Alpha20 50cc

Pictures coming:)

Jetpainter likes this.
  9. Alpha20

Alpha20 50cc

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Late reply. Studies, work... A college asked if I could fly first Saturday on an outdoor day for kids with cancer. I could not say no to that, so I finished the plane tonight. Pictures aren't any good, but it is what it is. Going to get 4-5 flights on it before Saturday, to check that all is good. (And after Saturday I'm starting the build of an EMHW 50 % Challenger).

thurmma, acerc and Jetpainter like this.
  10. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

Are you going to do a build thread here? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.