• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Ignition straight into powerbox?

Alpha20

50cc
So, I am refurbishing my CARF Extra 330L 100cc - old plane, new setup. My plan is to have 2 x LIFE 3000 mah into a Powebox Evolution. I am planning to power the ignition straight from the Powerbox. Is this OK, or a no-go??

Probably a no go without a IBEC of some sort. The Tech Aero IBEC seems to be one of the better regarded brands, there are others out there also.

Alpha20

50cc
Never fly without. Have a few, bot smart-fly and RCXL. Main concern was if the ignition could cause damage to the powerbox, but after reading this and the other site I'll give it a go

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
how old is the ignition? if it's very old and therefore probably more likely to emit rf noise it still might not be such a great idea. newer ignitions with newer receivers don't seem to have the same problems anymore.

Never fly without. Have a few, bot smart-fly and RCXL. Main concern was if the ignition could cause damage to the powerbox, but after reading this and the other site I'll give it a go

I've run the Tech Aero IBEC into both the Powerbox Cockpit, and Smart fly EQ6 without issues. Also ran the smartfly opti kills, but changed to the IBEC when I converted my planes to HV, and wanted to get rid of my NiCad battery packs.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
If you would, post some pics of the Carf. I was just flying my 11 year old 90" Carf 330L today. It still flies great! I also flew a brand new Carf 330SC with a DA120 today, it was a sweet flying airplane.:)

Alpha20

50cc
how old is the ignition? if it's very old and therefore probably more likely to emit rf noise it still might not be such a great idea. newer ignitions with newer receivers don't seem to have the same problems anymore.

3 year old DA-100. Should be good?

Alpha20

50cc
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Late reply. Studies, work... A college asked if I could fly first Saturday on an outdoor day for kids with cancer. I could not say no to that, so I finished the plane tonight. Pictures aren't any good, but it is what it is. Going to get 4-5 flights on it before Saturday, to check that all is good. (And after Saturday I'm starting the build of an EMHW 50 % Challenger).