• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How well do you like your Spektrum Transmitter?

Bipenut53

150cc
Hello all!
Just a quick post, I was wondering, if you have or have had a Spektrum transmitter anything above DX-5, what you liked about it and what you didn't like about it. I know it could help others trying to make up their mind about transmitters. I have the DX-18. I really like this transmitter because it is easy to program, it has 18 different mixes you can do, it is capable of storing 250 models, and a pre-flight check list if you wish to use it. Plus way more! The only thing that can be annoying about it is the text can be a little small but that is due to the higher resolution to fit more into the screen. I have owned the first generation DX-7, and the DX-8. The DX-7 was my first jump into 2.4 ghz from FM. It was a good transmitter but I out grew it pretty quickly. I then bought a DX-8 and loved it, DSMX was the major reason I went to that but it would only do 6 mixes and I was running right up to the limits of the transmitter. So I decided I needed to upgrade again, I looked at the DX-9 and probably would have bought it if I didn't run into a good deal on my DX-18 and that I hope will be the last transmitter I buy. I do also have a Hitec Aurora 9 and like it as well and still learning how to program it.....

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Ive only ever had two TX's. DX7 & DX8. Really like the 8 and does everything I need. However I am giving serious consideration to the DX9 for the telemetry ability and a few other things. If I were richer I would go with either DX18 or switch over to Jeti.

Bipenut53

150cc
The DX-7 was it the original DSM2 version or the DX-7s, if it was the 7s, did you like it? I'm looking at getting a buddy box for my DX-18

vegasking

70cc twin V2
I've mostly had Futaba radios for the last 40 years besides one or two JR's, but got a DX18 gen 2 last year and really like it. I think it is slightly easier to program than the Futaba 14sg. The only thing I'm not too keen on is all the satellite placements I have to do with the bigger receivers such as the AR9110 9-Channel DSMX PowerSafe Receiver and the AR12120 12-Channel DSMX/XPlus PowerSafe Receiver but other than that it has never failed me yet.

syzyguy

50cc
I outgrew the DX6i the day I got it, but have no complaints at all about my DX9 with the current firmware. The DX6i is now just wireless buddybox'd to the DX9 and used for the sims. For me an advantage of running Spektrum is you can get $8 orange receivers for your foamies but still get higher end stuff with satellites and telemetry for the big birds.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Really enjoyed my 6i, moved up to the 8x a few years ago only because I had plans to use 7 channels on an airplane.

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
The DX8 has been a great transmitter for me and I still use it for many of my planes. When I built my Decathlon I ran out of channels on the DX8 and invested in the DX9 because others at the field had them and were liking theirs. Being able to add telemetry and have a wireless buddy box so my wife could learn also swayed my decision. I have been very happy with the radio except for 2 things.
1. It beeps way too loud out of the box or when setting up a new plane. Yes you can set the volume but I would prefer to have it start low and then make it louder.
2. The memory card that came with the transmitter did not work and an attempt to download a plane from the DX8 and upload it to the DX9 locked up the DX9 to the point that I had to pull the battery to get functionality back.