• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hitec servo help

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
I'll start by saying several of us have been experiencing several failures with hitec servo's. 2 hs-5496 went out while using them on throttle, and another hs- 5665 same place throttle. All 3 of these servo's were new and lasted only a short time. The 5665 that went out was a replacement for one that arrived DOA. I was finishing up my assembly of my Edge this past Sat. with some help from @emtp275 . I only needed finish throttle setup, and finish ignition, as I am eliminating ignition pack, figured an hour tops to do this, and I'd go mow the field. Well :dancing-poop: hit the fan from the start, plugged in hs 5665, started testing it, and brown out, kept on moving sticks and brown out. Ok no problem got a bad one AGAIN, it happens. Lucky me @mulehead1969 has a new assembly going on at Justin's house, so I grab his NIB 5665 (mine was NIB also) plug it in same thing BROWN out, nothing but servo plugged in, no arm, no nothing, just a continue brown out for a couple seconds, and bk online, till you move the 5665, and then brown out. My radio is Aurora 9X, optima 9 rx, everything run threw booma switch, 2 jr in,an 2 ultra out, all HV setup. We start chasing the problem down, thinking no way we have 2 NIB servo's giving problems. Grabbed Warren's booma switch, plugged it in, same thing brown out, grabbed Warren's optima 9 rx, same thing brown out, grabbed a MKS 777, plugged it in on throttle NO brown out. So I jump in truck, drive to my house grab 7955, and bk to Justin's, install servo, problem SOLVED. Now the whole time we are browning out, all that is hooked up is rudder 7955, and elevators 2 7954's, and the 5665 throttle. I don't even have the 2- 7955's for wings hooked up, so we finish up install, plug in wings, and everything seems good(even though I don't have that warm fuzzy happy filling at all). I didn't want to post my problems until I had a chance to do some more testing, so I been messing this morn. since bout 7:30am. I tried 2 other NIB 5665's on Edge and same thing brown out. I plug the 5665's into my crashed Ultimate, which is regulated to 6.6V and all 4-5665's work fine, no brown out. I plug all 4 into my Slick, same HV setup as Edge, only difference is wolverine switch instead of booma, an brown out, when I say all 4, I mean I would plug 5665 into throttle no arm or anything hooked up, turn radio on, and then rx. and then brown out while moving sticks, turn off unplug 5665, then plug next one in, same routine, same brown out. Funny you know what throttle servo that is installed in Slick, a freaking 5665, been in there for almost 2 seasons, never a problem. @emtp275 add whatever you feel I left out if I did, you were right in this helping me, or more trying to keep me from stomping on, and lighting a match to the project. Others post what you think is going on, right now I'm bout 5 hours into just trying to get a throttle servo to work, with all my testing, pluggin, unpluggin crap, so not a happy camper.

emtp275

100cc
You seem to have covered it fairly well, I did notice the two 5665's we tried here were getting warm after only 10-20 sec also that's on 2s were they warming up on your regulator?

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
You seem to have covered it fairly well, I did notice the two 5665's we tried here were getting warm after only 10-20 sec also that's on 2s were they warming up on your regulator?
I didn't notice it Justin. I was pluggin, and testing by moving sticks like we did Sat. I didn't even check the heat when I plugged them into slick. The other 2 NIB 5665's are for Herb's project I have here at house, but the ones we had Sat. at your house, are from same batch. BTW the 645 that killed the Ultimate is just like the 5496 I have of yours, you can barely move it by hand.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Interesting.

Servos are a mass produced product so there is going to be a defective one here and there as a result, it's always best to contact us beforehand to discuss what your options are as far as getting a servo that works. If it's getting hot that could be a sign that something is either binding inside of the servo, an excessive load is being applied to the servo, or some of the components inside of the servo are on their way out. The 5665 is HV compatible so it's not an issue to run it on a 7.4v system (I personally use one on my DA120 throttle on 7.4v). So unless your linkage is really stiff then you might have an issue with the servo itself.

How old are the servos?

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Interesting.

Servos are a mass produced product so there is going to be a defective one here and there as a result, it's always best to contact us beforehand to discuss what your options are as far as getting a servo that works. If it's getting hot that could be a sign that something is either binding inside of the servo, an excessive load is being applied to the servo, or some of the components inside of the servo are on their way out. The 5665 is HV compatible so it's not an issue to run it on a 7.4v system (I personally use one on my DA120 throttle on 7.4v). So unless your linkage is really stiff then you might have an issue with the servo itself.

How old are the servos?
NIB all servos talked about are New in Box (NIB) 4 out of 5 ordered are giving problems. I was waiting to see what kind of ideas I got here, but looks like it's time to ask for refund. I've lost enough time messing with these. Thinking bout trying http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDXFG&P=SM for throttle, but it states for cars, specs look ok for throttle. Any suggestions for throttle servo HV in $50 range?

emtp275

100cc
Interesting.

How old are the servos?
No Bind they had nothing connected to them the servos were just sitting in the air frame, I am also using this same servo on my 61 as throttle but I have it on a smart fly which Im sure you have on a 100cc running Hitec, I wouldnt know if they were doing this with a smart fly until the servo just quit as it is isolated from the Rx and not causing the load or what ever voltage drop is making the Rx "Brown Out"

emtp275

100cc
@Xpress I forgot you use redundant RX and no distribution correct? So I should do the same. It seems that maybe by chance but for sure 4 of 5 are causing an issue while using a fail safe/bat share switch such as the booma or wolverine. I do have one on an 88 extra using a booma switch but it is Futaba so i can't compare apples to apples that way.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Correct, I don't use anything other than servos connected directly to dual receivers. Try the servos without the smart fly system first to see what they do.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
NIB all servos talked about are New in Box (NIB) 4 out of 5 ordered are giving problems. I was waiting to see what kind of ideas I got here, but looks like it's time to ask for refund. I've lost enough time messing with these. Thinking bout trying http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDXFG&P=SM for throttle, but it states for cars, specs look ok for throttle. Any suggestions for throttle servo HV in $50 range?

Give us a call today 858 748 6948