• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hi from the Philippines

Yes that's right, I'm john D. an American retired in the Philippines. I've been modeling since, well forever. In the US 20 years ago I was flying 46% scale aerobatic planes. tow planes, and giant scale composite sailplanes, Since coming here not much flying available except small foamies etc. Now I found a group with a nice field suitable for bigger stuff, so hence I will attempt to get re involved with big planes. Wow future shock, S Bus? what's that, got my head around it but a lot has changed. Hope to glean some good ideas here thanks and cheers.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
:welcome: From Southeast Alaska here! I bet there is some pretty nice thermal activity there!

SBus/XBus is basically a data bus. You can program (programmable) servos, or use a decoder to tell it what channel you want it to be. It's like plugging a servo into an rx input that is assignable... but anywhere along the data link. Imagine one servo lead from an SBus port y'd into four leads and each servo can do any channel it's told to do. It's very efficient and de-cluttering. Annnd Nope, still haven't used it! LOL

WMcNabb

150cc
Welcome John D!
Saw your posts on the Timber thread. Looking forward to watching that one come together.
I’m a huge fan of giant biplanes and always thought the 46% Ultimate was a winner!
Haven’t had one, at least not yet. If you wouldn’t mind post a large photo of it on the Avatar thread - http://giantscalenews.com/threads/avatar-update.10914/
Hope you enjoy this site. As @thurmma commented, great group of modelers here, who are willing to share their knowledge and expertise.

Thanks WMcNabb, That plane (Hangar 9 Ultimate)was built 20 plus years ago, so ancient history, I used all JR equipment in it, as Horizon sponsored me with a team discount on parts. Three Matchboxes, one rx, no powerbox, just lots of redundancy on batteries. All titanium pushrods, and JR servos forgot how many 12 at least. 3W 150CS Redhead. a real pussycat to fly. I campaigned it for one season, then sold it because a fellow made me an offer I couldn't turn down, long out of production now I think.
ulti2600.jpg

WMcNabb

150cc
Thanks WMcNabb, That plane (Hangar 9 Ultimate)was built 20 plus years ago, so ancient history, I used all JR equipment in it, as Horizon sponsored me with a team discount on parts. Three Matchboxes, one rx, no powerbox, just lots of redundancy on batteries. All titanium pushrods, and JR servos forgot how many 12 at least. 3W 150CS Redhead. a real pussycat to fly. I campaigned it for one season, then sold it because a fellow made me an offer I couldn't turn down, long out of production now I think. View attachment 117357

Thanks John!
I’m definitely a fan of ancient history, and enjoy looking back on fine models like this.
Appreciate you sharing the details, and imagine this one was a stunner in its day!!

Attached is a link to the kit from 2003...
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=HAN1100