• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAQ Helicopter Flight Tips and Videos

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
I am going to start a Tutorial on helicopters, everything from basic to expert(I will try my best) flying. I will be recording most of my videos on Realflight G6.5 and will be posting them here.

Let me know if you want to see anything explained, I will do my best to make a video of it with an explanation :D

[video=youtube;I1_dmDACh0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1_dmDACh0w[/video]

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
For hovering a helicopter, you want to get the headspeed (RPM) of the blades up to where the helicopter will get "light" which should be around half throttle. Slowly move the left stick (Throttle AND Pitch) up until the helicopter lifts of the ground. Most people will freak out and start moving the cyclic(right stick) and the helicopter will go everywhere. STAY CALM!!, and make very subtle movements it takes very little control to hover a helicopter, DO NOT over correct; while working the cyclic (right stick) you will also need to keep the heli at a safe altitude (3-4 feet of the ground) making very subtle movements on the collective as well (left stick). Controlling the heli in a hover is SIMPLE, don't over think the process. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction; use that thinking process as you start to move left and right. When you want to stop moving apply the OPPOSITE control you applied to get it in that position. Once the heli is level, work on getting it back to the spot you started using the same process. Once you are comfortable with your hovering abilities and you get the feel for moving left, right, front, back and then to the position you started; flip the idle up switch to Idle 1, this sets your headspeed to a constant RPM and now the left stick (collective) is controlling ONLY the pitch of the blades. Get the feel of this in a hover and once you are comfortable flip into Idle 2, which will set your headspeed even higher from Idle 1.

Do you have hovering down? Nope. Now turn the tail (using the left stick) so the side of the helicopter is facing you. Start left, right, back, forward process over again. Then do this with the nose facing toward you and then the opposite side.

Now that you have hovering down, you can start forward flight SLOWLY. From a hover, slowly push the nose down, as you do this the helicopter will drop, so apply collective to keep your altitude and level the helicopter slightly once it starts moving. As you approach the turn, slowly apply aileron and keep the nose up with the elevator. Now the first time you try this, you will probably crash. So don't feel bad, you will probably crash A LOT before you can fly circuits. That's ok, that's what the simulator is for :D. Anyway, hit the reset button and try again, only this time as you apply aileron and elevator, make the tail follow the helicopter by applying rudder in with the turn. As you exit the turn make the opposite inputs you used to enter the turn, and once again follow with the tail. (Think of the frame of the helicopter and the tail box/ tail blades, as 2 different things; you have to apply the same control to both. The tail WILL NOT follow the frame). As you get comfortable making turns, start flying the figure 8 pattern(video above), slowly at first and then start picking up more speed.

Next video will be about Flips. :popcorn: