• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

HeadsUpRC FirePower 46 Sport

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Very nice,
How did you find the Firepower 46 motor? I'm running one in my 51" AJ Slick and it's doing great so far. the only issue I had with it is that it comes with a big retaining collar to fit the chunky 8mm shaft but it's too large in diameter to go through the hole in the cross mount (or at least the one I had was). I ended up using a brass washer suitably drilled out to act as a spacer which solved the problem. I'm running mine on a Xoar 15x7 and it pulls a few more amps than it really should, but seems to be coping fine so far.

njswede

150cc
Steve,

So far, I'm impressed with the FirePower 46. Everything is over-sized and super sturdy. The bearings feel nice and tight. They must have fixed the problem with the cross mount, because mine fit just fine with the collar on. Of course, I had to file out the hole in the firewall to fit it, but that's not a big deal.

I'm planning on spinning a Xoar 15x7. Right now, it has a APC 14x7E on it, which I'll probably keep for the maiden. It should pull something like 700W with a 14x7. Once I know everything is holding up, I'm definitely going to go nuts with a 15x7. How much are you pulling? Close to 1500W?

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Sounds like they did fix the collar problem. The one i had featured a shoulder on the collar with the narrow part obviously designed to pass though the hole in the cross mount, but the narrow part wasnt long enough and the wide part of the collar came into contact with the cross mount.

Officially the motor is rated for 900W or 45A. To get 900W without exceeding 45A would mean running a 5s or 6s battery (and a smaller prop). I stuck with 4s but pushed the amps up (me bad;)). I'm up to 65A and maybe slightly over on a fresh off the charger pack:eek:. This gives a little over 1000W. I've got maybe 40 flights on it so far. Despite the severe abuse the motor never gets very hot. Structurally it seems totally bomb proof. I did put a air scoop (formed from clear plastic) inside the cowl on one of the cowl inlets that directs air staght onto the motor, I do this with most of my 3D planes it makes a significant difference to motor temps, I think it's a lot more effective than baffles.

njswede

150cc
I just spun it up on a APC 14x7E and a Zippy 2200mAh 35C and got a 950W reading. That can't be right, can it? I think I may need a new wattmeter!

gyro

GSN Contributor
I just spun it up on a APC 14x7E and a Zippy 2200mAh 35C and got a 950W reading. That can't be right, can it? I think I may need a new wattmeter!

nah, I don't think Zippys are capable of pefroming near their actual ratings. EVER.

At 950w, using a 4s battery, figure about 15.5 under load after a fresh charge? So thats 61A. Thats nearly 30C out of a zippy labeld 35C? No way... :bull:

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
Don't come down on a fine HobbyKing product like that, please! :)

No, but that was kind of my point. That prop and those batts on that motor shouldn't pull that much. Maybe the wattmeter I picked up at an estate sale for $5 needs to be replaced? :)

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Maybe it's right though I've never had a zippy perform anything like that good. My gens ace batteries are getting a bit long in the tooth and don't hold their voltage quite like they used to. they are still ok but just not quite the punch they once had. From memory i was getting about 1050W

njswede

150cc
From Manufacturer:

The Firepower 46 Sport (5045-07) is a 6.7 ounce, 720kv, 1000 watt outrunner brushless motor that is roughly equivalent in power to .46 two stroke glow engines. It's a good choice for sport and scale airplanes weighing 4 to 7 pounds, or 3D planes up to 4 pounds.

We recommend using a 60A to 100A Electronic Speed Control (ESC) with this motor.

MOUNTING OPTIONS: The Firepower 46 can be mounted in front of a firewall using the 5000 series X Mount and the 5000 series rotor end prop adapter that are included with the motor. You can also mount it behind a firewall, and an 8mm prop adapter can be purchased to mount a prop on the motor shaft.

Firepower 46 Sport Specifications:

Weight = 6.7 ounces (189 grams)

Diameter = 1.97 inch (50 mm)

Motor length = 1.7 inch (44 mm) from motor base to tip of rotor

Shaft = 8mm x 0.9 inch

Voltage = 9 - 25.2 volts (3 to 6 cell Lipo batteries)

Current = maximum of 45 amps or 900 watts for 30 seconds

KV = 720

Mounting holes are spaced 30mm on center and are tapped for 4mm screws.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
As per the recent discussion in another thread.. I've been running one of these motors with a Xoar 15x7 pulling over 65A. It's got about 40 flights without any issues. Motor runs reasonably cool (but I am in Northern Scotland, your mileage may vary;))

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
As per the recent discussion in another thread.. I've been running one of these motors with a Xoar 15x7 pulling over 65A. It's got about 40 flights without any issues. Motor runs reasonably cool (but I am in Northern Scotland, your mileage may vary;))

Keep posting about this motor... I'm considering it as a replacement for my hacker A30 12XL on my 51 slick. I would love a motrofly but don't have motrofly cash. My hacker is still functioning for now, but I know it will need to be replaced soon. I am particularly interested in longevity and if there is any way for you to get an actual temp reading on the motor after a flight that would be good too.