• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hauling Your Plane in a Pickup... Best Ideas? Post them here!

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I'm posing this question here because I know the IMAC guys haul their planes long distances, and most of them are 100cc or better. I know a lot of guys have trailers, but I have an open pickup bed. I'm looking for any photos or ideas of ways people haul their planes. I don't have a parking spot for a trailer, so that's kind of out, at least for now. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!

thurmma

150cc
When I was just using my truck, I put a topper on it and it made it a lot nicer knowing the plane wasn't getting slammed by the wind coming over the cab. I do have a trailer now, but still have the topper on the truck for when I just want to take a smaller plane to the field.

siko_flyer

70cc twin V2
I use my truck,all I do is have a styrofoam block with a wood dowel through it that I bungee cord at the back of the fuse to keep the tail wheel from being hammered on bumps, otherwise I just tie it with rope to the bed hooks and go. Carry a 50cc and 100cc at the same time this way.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
When I was just using my truck, I put a topper on it and it made it a lot nicer knowing the plane wasn't getting slammed by the wind coming over the cab. I do have a trailer now, but still have the topper on the truck for when I just want to take a smaller plane to the field.
I've thought about that, but I don't think it's in the cards right now. Plus, I still need an open truck bed for ranch work, etc.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I use my truck,all I do is have a styrofoam block with a wood dowel through it that I bungee cord at the back of the fuse to keep the tail wheel from being hammered on bumps, otherwise I just tie it with rope to the bed hooks and go. Carry a 50cc and 100cc at the same time this way.
I like the styrofoam block idea! I will definitely put something like that into service. Thanks for the idea!

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Hey 2Robinhood,

This is kind of what I'm thinking for the mains. Something similar. Using the strap to hold it down to the tailgate is great idea. My mains will rest on the tailgate so I was trying to figure out a way to secure a block or tie down point, so this helps a lot.

After watching my son's plane get "caressed" by the wind in the open bed of a pickup I think some sort of protection makes a lot of sense. Maybe split a sheet of plywood down the middle and add some 2x2 s to make some "solid stakesides". I know I have some stakesides for my pickup that weren't much cost or trouble to put together and have lasted many years. Won't interfere with a lot of ranch work (and even helps for some) and is easy to take off and put on if needed.

siko_flyer

70cc twin V2
After watching my son's plane get "caressed" by the wind in the open bed of a pickup I think some sort of protection makes a lot of sense. Maybe split a sheet of plywood down the middle and add some 2x2 s to make some "solid stakesides". I know I have some stakesides for my pickup that weren't much cost or trouble to put together and have lasted many years. Won't interfere with a lot of ranch work (and even helps for some) and is easy to take off and put on if needed.
I used to worry about that and I would tape the rudder, then one day I forgot and when I saw it in the rear view I noticed the rudder would self center and stay there.Even in a crosswind it stays straight until I slow down for a light or stop sign,or old person crossing the road,or a critter, or... I usually drive 70 mph and figure I exceed that at times when flying.Also,mine are turned around with the tail facing back.I'll try to remember to take a pic next time I'm loaded up.

Last edited:

bobzilla

70cc twin V2
I find it so much easier to just take apart and pile it in.

Attachments

• crashultimate.jpg
    crashultimate.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 790