Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  2. Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Hangar 9 Carden Edition 89" Extra 300 Mid-Wing

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by brandonduley, Feb 5, 2014.

1. brandonduley

brandonduley 30cc

H9 Carden 89" Extra 300

My setup is:
    DA-60
    MTW TD75K Cannister
    Falcon 23x8 Carbon Prop
    Tru Turn 4" Ultimate Spinner unlightened backplate
    Spektrum AR9110X Rx
    5- JR 8911HV servos
    JR DS821HV (throttle)
    2- Spektrum 2000 mah Li-Po packs
    Tech-Aero Ultra IBEC
    Danhakl Designs 16oz Fuel Tank
    Graphics by Dennis at Kirby's Kustom Graphics

Building:

The only issues I came across were, the elevator servo pockets were not quite big enough for the servo lead coming out the bottom of the servo casing to sit in and not be completely pinched and risk damaging the servo or worse, I dremeled out the pocket slightly to allow for more room.

I also wish it had come with some anti-rotation pins in the wings, but it did not, so I made up some dowels and light ply pieces of my own and installed them right in front of the rear wing bolt holes were there was already some additional bracing in place inside the fuse.

To save some weight and improve appearance, I decided later in the build to change the fuel tank out since it is visible through the canopy, I went with the Danhakl Designs 16oz tank, looks much better compared to the stock white tank.

Flying:

Didn't get this plane finished until late fall 2013, so I only have 5 flights or so on the plane at this point, thanks a lot winter......

Having flown 35-40% Carden Extras in the past I was hoping to get a similar flying experience and man was it ever, IMO this plane flies very comparable to it's 40% big brother. Only a couple clicks of up elevator was required and a little bit of knife edge mixing. Can report more as I get more flights on the airframe, but for now I am impressed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
  2. brandonduley

brandonduley 30cc

Pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. brandonduley

brandonduley 30cc

More pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. gyro

gyro GSN Contributor

Texas
    Sub'd! Great thread

5. brandonduley

brandonduley 30cc

Thanks [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION]

6. SnowDog

SnowDog Moderator

Really nice looking plane and very clean install! looks small next to that DA 170! ;)

7. gyro

gyro GSN Contributor

Texas
    Friend has one at the local field, but I've never seen it flown hard :(

8. brandonduley

brandonduley 30cc

Thanks, yeah it does look like a little baby when it's sitting next to it's big brother:)

9. gyro

gyro GSN Contributor

Texas
    Got any video of it? :D

10. brandonduley

brandonduley 30cc

No I do not. Whenever it decides to quit snowing and warm up I plan on getting some video of it.