• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Grunau Baby IIb Remaiden

Picked up a well used 1/3 scale Grunau Baby IIb back in May, not that I needed another sailplane but I'm addicted to woodies. Spent a bit of time updating the wiring and making sure it was airworthy before heaving it off a hill. This took place at Kiona Butte the 5th of July in 15-20 mph wind conditions. Wil Byers took it down the face a bit and it just flew out of his hands with just a light push on the landing skid. The Grunau flew out straight and level without any trim needed during the flight. The control was smooth on the turns with rudder before aileron input, just nice and comfortabe. We must have flown for over a half hour back and forth across the face and out from Kiona before setting up for a perfect low speed landing within a few yards of where we were standing on top . Now to get it aerotowed.
Gene
Grunau-5396.jpg
Grunau-5428.jpg
Grunau-5437.jpg
Grunau-5452.jpg
Grunau-5460.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Welcome to GiantScaleNews.com Gene, thanks for joining us and congrats on the maiden of the new-to-you sailplane!
Old stuff rules!

There is some video of the flight that will be posted when my buddy gets it edited. Just be a bit patent and wait like me.
Gene

As promised here is the video taken of the Grunau Baby IIB in flight. The only concern I had after starting the video was when I would get the transmitter back from Wil.
Gene