• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GP Evo 176

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok...lets get GSN rockin' again. Everything seems to be working out pretty good. Too bad the other guys had to jump ship in the middle of the updates. Oh well. 

After exhaustive and extensive searching, thinking and re-thinking just exactly what I wanted up front of the Sukhoi...I think I have finally and ultimately made a solid decision. Had been looking at another 3dub. Then I figured maybe a DLE 170. I've had a couple of really lengthy and very informative conversations with Dave Sullivan, (Planebender)..... I'm pretty sure the GP Evo 176 is going to be the power plant for the 42% Sukhoi. Great Power, (hence the name), smoooooooth transition, gobs of grunt. And reasonably priced. Any one have one of these animals? How are you liking it? Lets all get involved in a little "ENGINE" talk shall we?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
LOL, lengthy chat with Dave.....he does like to talk!!!       Always enjoy chatting with him because there is absolutely 0% BS.       I have (had) two of the 176 EVO's from Dave and still have one.     The other was sold with a plane to a good friend of mine and he is still flying it in a 42% Wild Hare Extra.       The one I still have is in a 123" PAU Extra and it's a really nice combo.     I'm running stock mufflers and fly mainly a combo of IMAC and 3D with it.      

I had a DLE170 as well that was a real powerhouse but the grunt of the GP is kind of like going from a DLE111 to a DA120 if you've ever done that switch.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Terryscustom said
LOL, lengthy chat with Dave.....he does like to talk!!!       Always enjoy chatting with him because there is absolutely 0% BS.       I have (had) two of the 176 EVO's from Dave and still have one.     The other was sold with a plane to a good friend of mine and he is still flying it in a 42% Wild Hare Extra.       The one I still have is in a 123" PAU Extra and it's a really nice combo.     I'm running stock mufflers and fly mainly a combo of IMAC and 3D with it.      

I had a DLE170 as well that was a real powerhouse but the grunt of the GP is kind of like going from a DLE111 to a DA120 if you've ever done that switch.
Yeah, he does like to "express". Hee hee. That's ok though. The man is "FULL" of knowledge and truly has a Gorilla grip of understanding on the EVO 176. I am probably going with his complete setup. DA 170 headers with his own design adapters. Along with his smooth pipes and comfort mounts. I figure the Sukhoi has had nothing but the best so far, why chinse out now? I've never had a 111. Nor a DA120 for that matter. But good lord, if it will turn a 31x8-14...then that is the motor for me. LOL. Thanks for your input Terry.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Terryscustom said
I'm running 32x11W falcon and love it!
winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif
 That's good info. to have. Thanks....

yakpilot

50cc
I've got about 5 gallons through my 176 EVO and I could not be any happier. It is everything Dave said it would be. Perfect engine for the Sukhoi.

Welton1720

New to GSN!
I'm a believer too!! Looking to buy another one of these smooth as silk monsters for my new Jtec 3.1 CS. I went from a DA 170 to a 176 Evo in my 118" Carden 260, on MTW 115's and a Falcon 30-14, VERY good combo!! Crazy up line power for multiple snaps, rolls, point rolls, it doesn't care! Just keeps going straight up! What would one of these be like on a nice set of pipes!?!? It's also nice not to have to replace a Cowl bolt or two after every flight any more, these things are SMOOTH! you can also add a few more minutes to your timer, the consumption seems to be less! Crazy power using less fuel? weird.. How do they do that?? 

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Turns out I just happen to now have a Falcon 32x11. It is not the WIDE blade... Think that will matter much to this engine? I had heard fairly recently that the EVO 176 was the cause of two lost planes. Not too sure I like that report. But then again, I have read a butt load of lost plane stories pertaining to DA, DLE and yes...even some very disgruntled 3Dub owners. My believe on the latter is primarily due to the misunderstanding of the Tillotson carb. Personally, I have figured it out...(following the advice of Chris (Bunky) and my long time friend Tom) As well as others.... trick is? "SNEAK" up on the settings. Anyway, that being said... I still want GRUNT, GRUNT, GRUNT on the front of that Sukhoi.

This is an engine that I'm very interested in so I'd like to hear about how the engines caused the crashes. My guess would be that the engine may not have been tuned properly but that doesn't mean another problem could have been the cause.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I really like seeing all your discussions on da big boyzz! For me one more 35%er (Cap..Terry..Cap...Terry...Cap...Terry...Cap) Voices in my head man! Fergus had e-mailed me and I think the V-3 123 will do nice! once it is released.